PDA

View Full Version : misted clocks

duc daz
25-Jan-2009, 17:52
took the 1098 up to JHP coventry for oil leak and recall of the regulator.On the way up there i noticed it was getting harder to see what speed i was doing as the clocks were steaming up .spoke to johns son rick about this bizzare problem .He said he had changed a few for the same reason but the problem was the same in the new ones.i will email ducati UK and tell them they need to recall the bikes for the clocks...Has any one else had the same the problem ?????

SlowLearner
25-Jan-2009, 18:02
Yes !

I think its a very common problem.
Mine has done it since new, Snells said they would push for a replacement if it ever got really bad.

Not sure whether i will push for this, although i had better do it soonish as the bike is over a year old now...

Steve

bradders
25-Jan-2009, 18:08
cant imagine them recalling the, thats a process only set for saftey issues

what is it with ducati clocks? seems most other makes manage ok :rolleyes:

duc daz
25-Jan-2009, 18:21
never had it with the 999 clocks or any other brand of bike

NormanBurrows
25-Jan-2009, 18:44
took the 1098 up to JHP coventry for oil leak and recall of the regulator.On the way up there i noticed it was getting harder to see what speed i was doing as the clocks were steaming up .spoke to johns son rick about this bizzare problem .He said he had changed a few for the same reason but the problem was the same in the new ones.i will email ducati UK and tell them they need to recall the bikes for the clocks...Has any one else had the same the problem ?????

Mine has done it since new (Sep 07) when the ambient temperature is below 12C or so. And I agree it is a disgrace in this day and age. I was told replacement under warranty was unavailable cos "they all do it". In early January my speed was unreadable about 15 miles into a run. What do you do? Stop and freeze to death on the moors or ride home carefully hoping you don't get pulled? Come on Ducati - you make fantastic products spoilt by silly things like this.

duc daz
26-Jan-2009, 12:23
spoke to DUCATI UK told them about the problem clocks.They tell me they have sorted the problem and a change of the clocks would be done under warranty.

SlowLearner
28-Jan-2009, 10:29
Spurred into action by this thread I have requested my misty clocks be replaced, shells are sorting this for me :-)

Apparently there are two problems with the 1098/898 clocks, misting and failure of the LCD displays. Both seem to be covered by the warranty.

Will let you know of any updates !

duc daz
28-Jan-2009, 16:08
thats good news mate..Let me know how things turn out

MFish
04-Feb-2009, 10:13
My 1098s clocks misted from new.
Snells fitted new one under warranty, which also mists up, but slightly less!
Cheers, Michael

duc daz
04-Feb-2009, 21:41
ducati UK assured me that they had solved the problematic misting clocks by putting smaller bodies inside

Dukey
09-Mar-2009, 21:24
I'm not alone then, I must get mine (1098S) looked at too.

duc daz
10-Mar-2009, 19:25
mine have been fine since...touch wood

748IOM
11-Mar-2009, 12:25
Might get mine done under warranty when in for first service. It's not that bad on mine but still there every now and again. That said it's the same on my friends older monster (dial clocks).

arthurbikemad
12-Mar-2009, 20:27
Mine have since new on my 08 848. Does get on my t#ts! Also so does my head light..?

They clear after ages, normally a day!

I did say "that never happens with my blade",, but then b#gger me the lights fogged up...so I take it all back my nice little 848 SORRY!

Hey but the clocks never have.!

You'd expect it on an old RD!

Im just waiting for my mates desmo to do it so I can take the P~SS!

Bionicle
13-Mar-2009, 10:26
Im just waiting for my mates desmo to do it so I can take the P~SS!

I can confirm that it also happens on the desmo so you can start taking the P~SS! a head of time :)

arthurbikemad
13-Mar-2009, 21:26
:lol:

Dukeman358
13-Apr-2009, 09:23
My 1098s has always done this and I was told to take a phot of it when misted badly and they will replace it but as early mentioned it would be pointless unless they have modified the replacement parts. The LCD failure point may be more of an issue though! Not much warranty left so will need to force the issue.

Bionicle
13-Apr-2009, 20:23
It happend on my 08 1098R but so far touch wood its not happend on my Bayliss, so maybe they have sorted it.

SlowLearner
13-Apr-2009, 21:36
my warranty replacement clocks misted up nicely today ! :-(

Mad Dog Bianchi
14-Apr-2009, 03:38
probably Italian brand clocks made in China or Albania!