Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Who Has Done A Ron Haslem Race School Day? (/showthread.php?t=35486)

chris.p 30-Aug-2006 06:32

Who Has Done A Ron Haslem Race School Day?

I am doing the Premier course on the 600 on Thursday ( A birthday present from Cathy), has any one done this course, what is the format & what did they think of it???

Chris:burn:

AK 30-Aug-2006 07:59

try and drop Bones a PM as he has done a rh race school earleir this year. He said he got more from his TD at Castle Combe............

Bones 30-Aug-2006 08:16

Ron Haslem

I went with 2 other mate's , John was doing the Blade thing and Andy who has never ridden a sports bike or been on a track (rides sit up and begs on road fast as feck) we were on the CBR600 , i teamed up with Andy we had a larf as together but even he said glad he didnt pay for it ,as it was a gift aswell ,where as i did and personally i didnt get anythink out of it and ask any of the Desmo guys i am no track god or anything .
The instructor we had was a nice guy but i have had better conversations with dead pepole , you may get a better instructor and have a brilliant day .

I have too say the best part of the day for me was the last run when we thought sod it went hell for leather coming out of the Melbourne Hairpin going into Goddards Ron Haslem came round the outside with thumbs up when we on straight ......................
Have a good day and dont bin it on ya first session like a lot of them did because u wont be back on at all...............everyone thought they were Rossi , even the guy with the Rossi rep leather wot an arse....... because thats wot he landed on.

Enjoy......................

Tonio600 30-Aug-2006 08:42

so you do some kind of secret practice...
how unfair, bloody Englishman :lol:

;)

andys 900ss 30-Aug-2006 09:29

I did this course many years ago, never been on track and not been back riding for long...

Its ideal if you've not been on the track or just getting into track riding and need the help & expert advice of a BSB rider (who our instructor was). Also you get to ride their bikes, so there's no hastle and wear with your own. We did the middle CBR group which was two riders to one instructor, my mate was **** on track and needed the most tuition so I was a bit p*ssed with lack of time but did get a fast run and tips towards the end of the day (listen to the instructors and how fast you can take craners once you get into it).

We was going to go back for the top Fireblade class but never did.

Andy

ps. Top man that Rocket Ron, passed us on the back wheel with someone on the back and Leon......well, awesome.

Bones 30-Aug-2006 10:00

I gotta do something french-type bloke too beat u ...........zoot-alore

Grib 30-Aug-2006 10:37

Did it a few years ago on the CBR6's and didn't rate it to be honest. If you want to find a perfect line round Donington, then it's great for that. I didn't learn any riding techniques or come away from it any quicker than I went there. You only get three sessions on track with brief classroom bits in between, and it's not nearly enough tracktime for the money. If you get paired with somebody who's either a lot faster or a lot slower than you, you'll be fed up of either getting left behind or held up as the instructor will go at the pace of the lead rider.
Most people would be better off booking a normal trackday and using whichever of the free instructors there best suit them. You'll learn more and they can cater the tuition to exactly what you want :) If it's a first time on track, then great, as all the overtakes have to be by letting people by, so it's all very safe and civillised. If you've got half a clue what you're doing on a bike, just book a trackday.

Paul996 30-Aug-2006 13:14

Have done this a couple of times. As Grib say's it does matter who you get paired with and the instructor, it can make all the difference. The last time I went with a mate and we were very similar is speed and managed to pass nearly everyone on the track.
The big critisism of the course is very little track time. I think we had 3 sessions with about 5 laps each. Just as you are starting to settle into a routine the time has ended. On the last session there was a red flag and we lost the last 1.5 laps.

Track day at Snetterton with the DSC last year was much better.

Hope this helps

Gaz 748 30-Aug-2006 17:04

I did it last year, a 10 year service treat from work.
I thought it was great, went faster every session,
ended getting 90%

chris.p 31-Aug-2006 07:01

Cheers guys, weather looks good for today, so will see how it goes, doing pm session.

Chris:burn: