Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Sports Personality of the Year (/showthread.php?t=81260)

MJS 14-Dec-2009 13:15

Sports Personality of the Year

Just what does anyone from motorsport have to do to win it these days?

Looking at the 10 nominations, I thought it had to be between Button and David Haye - both having achieved major success during the year, but both pretty much unexpectedly. Failing that, the heptathlete or Philips Idowu, again, both winners.

Now, not knocking Ryan Giggs, who, let's face it, is a model professional for anyone in any sport, 20 years with one club, never in the media for any off-pitch behavious etc. but did he really deserve SPOTY 2009? A life-time achievement award I could see, but not the main award.

Also thought the whole review was pretty thin - lots around the big sports and the contenders, but less than ever about other sports

Discuss.

Or don't.

M

bradders 14-Dec-2009 14:28

biggest travesty was the ladies cricket team losing to the men. Men win one series in the whole year, women win everything including the ashes, men get the award.

Chaz 14-Dec-2009 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
biggest travesty was the ladies cricket team losing to the men. Men win one series in the whole year, women win everything including the ashes, men get the award.

If you like ladies cricket that's ok bradders:rolleyes:

ChrisBushell 14-Dec-2009 15:05

I must admit for the 1st time in ages, I turned over before the end of the program, when Mr Giggs was announced.

I agree with Bradders, the ladies cricket team deserved the team award far more than the men.

On reflection this morning, I suppose the problem is that no individual is going to win against a Manchester United footballer - they have far to many supports and can swamp the voting. Ryan Giggs plays for a team, he has not acheived individual glory and is certainly not a personality.

But then, what do I know!

bradders 14-Dec-2009 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz
If you like ladies cricket that's ok bradders:rolleyes:

which I dont...but then I dont like F1 either but Hamilton was the right choice last year...

Chef 14-Dec-2009 18:01

I bet if they were the topless ladies cricket team they'd have won :-p

As I'm guessing most of the voters are men.......

As for Giggs........I wonder how Jenson Button was feeling.....royally scr*wed

Fordie 14-Dec-2009 19:35

Just goes to show The British couch potatoes now Jack S8it about real individual tryers if it ain't on saturday afternoon tele Forget it. Im surprised some one from Corrie didn't win it or Holyoaks 4D

MJS 14-Dec-2009 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
which I dont...but then I dont like F1 either but Hamilton was the right choice last year...

Not so sure about Hamilton last year - he did come up against gold medal winning Olympians, no-one could deny what Chris Hoy had achieved, but this year.... no, sorry, Giggs shouldn't even have been on the list :mad:

Steve B 14-Dec-2009 20:52

Chris Hoy's win last year is probably the only reason (apart from the above mentioned hordes of brain-dead couch potatoes) that Cavendish didn't win this year.

At least Cycling, Athletics and Boxing are, more often than not, worth watching for excitement and entertainment.

I have not been interested enough to watch a full F1 race since Schumacher retired, and was probably still at primary school (not old enough to know any better) when I last sat through 90 minutes of the national game. They even have to add even more time on to each half these days to try to give them a chance to do something interesting.