Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Ohlins Front Fork Preload (/showthread.php?t=80083)

Trig 15-Jul-2009 21:54

Ohlins Front Fork Preload

I have turned the preload nut 3 turns but it doesn't seam to have an effect on the nut height measured from the fork top. Why? How should it be adjusted?
Thanks

skidlids 16-Jul-2009 14:17

It adjusts a internal threaded part that adjusts the pressure on the springs so you don't see any change at the fork cap as you would with say Showas

Trig 16-Jul-2009 14:52

I see. My hand book gives a 10 mm dimension, I think.

I did some searches before posting and found references to the dimension and even :

'Front spring preload slackened off from 10mm to 3mm'

How is that achieved?

skidlids 16-Jul-2009 15:20

If I new the pitch of the threaded adjuster inside the fork I could tell you but off hand I don't know
So if it was 1.0mm pitch then 7 turns would change it from 10mm to 3mm but if the pitch is 1.25mm or 0.8mm then the amount of turns would differ

Trig 16-Jul-2009 15:42

Surely that assumes you know the start position which is doubtfull especially as it is so easy to adjust.

Presumably the only way to ensure the set up is correct is to check the sag and adjust to suit.

skidlids 16-Jul-2009 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trig
Surely that assumes you know the start position which is doubtfull especially as it is so easy to adjust.

Presumably the only way to ensure the set up is correct is to check the sag and adjust to suit.

I thought you knew the start position as you quoted figures of 10mm and 3 mm.
I always check the sag on my suspension and I also make a note in my race notebooks about changes for each track, how many clicks extra or less of preload and rebound and I also note adjustments in preload although not in mm, but in number of turns added or subtracted

Trig 16-Jul-2009 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
I thought you knew the start position as you quoted figures of 10mm and 3 mm.
I always check the sag on my suspension and I also make a note in my race notebooks about changes for each track, how many clicks extra or less of preload and rebound and I also note adjustments in preload although not in mm, but in number of turns added or subtracted

No. The figures were purely 'quotes' from handbook and other posts. I have no idea what I have on my bike and from what you say I can see no way to determine my existing preload dimension.
Anyway as you have confirmed I am now able to adjust to a suitable setting so I am happy.
Thanks for the info.