Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Race (/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   MotoGP - Sepang2 Test 1 Times (/showthread.php?t=85706)

antonye 28-Feb-2012 12:02

MotoGP - Sepang2 Test 1 Times

Final day times from the 2nd Official MotoGP Test Session at Sepang, Malaysia, 28th Feb 2012

Pos Rider Team Fastest lap Gap Lead. (Laps)
1 Casey Stoner Repsol Honda Team 2:01.761 -- (16)
2 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 2:02.005 +0.244 (36)
3 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 2:02.436 +0.675 (22)
4 Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 2:02.819 +1.058 (31)
5 Alvaro Bautista San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:02.959 +1.198 (24)
6 Nicky Hayden Ducati Team 2:03.132 +1.371 (55)
7 Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:03.213 +1.452 (27)
8 Valentino Rossi Ducati Team 2:03.245 +1.484 (39)
9 Hector Barbera Pramac Racing Team 2:03.612 +1.851 (24)
10 Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2:03.820 +2.059 (31)
11 Andrea Dovizioso Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:03.830 +2.069 (23)
12 Colin Edwards NGM Mobile Forward Racing 2:05.510 +3.749 (25)
13 Franco Battaini Cardion AB Motoracing 2:05.563 +3.802 (11)
14 Ivan Silva Avintia Racing 2:08.109 +6.348 (32)
15 Yonny Hernandez Avintia Racing 2:08.767 +7.006 (16)

MJS 28-Feb-2012 12:17

It rained at 2pm though...

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/177...sepang_ii.html

antonye 28-Feb-2012 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
It rained at 2pm though...

Yes, and Rossi was the first bike out in the wet - by all accounts a sensible move to see how it worked in the wet conditions to get a feel for it before he has to do it in race conditions!

Although Ducati have said that they are concentrating on the electronics package, the times are encouraging and Nicky doing 55 laps with his shoulder is amazing!

Cobbett 29-Feb-2012 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
the times are encouraging

Hmmm, what would it take for them to be discouraging?!

It's true that there were particular circs yesterday, though: VR going out early before the track conditions improved, but using up the tyre, then it raining just as they were going to up the pace with a second one. But in general I think it's a measure of how scarred we all are by last season that anything like top-6 is cheering. I find that pretty dispiriting tbh.

They've got nothing meaningful done today, given the further rain; more is forecast for tomorrow; and VR has been told that parts he'd hoped for in response to the testing at Sepang 1 won't be ready until 3 or 4 races into the season. So for all the optimism from the first tests I fear we're in for more disappointment, with the factory Ducs racing the best of the rest again. I'd love to be wrong.

antonye 29-Feb-2012 16:38

It is very tough to call because we don't know how hard they're trying, whether to believe the team when they say they're concentrating on the electronics package rather than lap times, and Alex Briggs saying they'd done a lot of good things to the bike today.

At least they are out there testing. Honda suffered an engine failure and didn't want to go back out until they got some results back from the factory, so they've lost a day. Have they lost an engine from their allocation too?

The other thing is that testing rules have changed this season, so there's no reason, except for tyre allocation, that Rossi can't be testing every week between now and the first race of the season to help improve the bike. We know he's capable, they just need to find the bike to let him show it.

Cobbett 29-Feb-2012 17:52

Quote:

Honda suffered an engine failure and didn't want to go back out until they got some results back from the factory, so they've lost a day. Have they lost an engine from their allocation too?

Yes I was wondering about that - but I assume the engine allocation is race only - ? Yamaha and Tech 3 seem to talking about switching engines without any sense of it counting.

Quote:

The other thing is that testing rules have changed this season, so there's no reason, except for tyre allocation, that Rossi can't be testing every week between now and the first race of the season to help improve the bike. We know he's capable, they just need to find the bike to let him show it.

I was wondering about that too! Ie if they leave Sepang after another wet day tomorrow, with a batch of unused tyres, surely the factory would think about trying to get a day or two somewhere in Europe, so that's it not all down to the the third and final test at Jerez.

antonye 29-Feb-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbett
if they leave Sepang after another wet day tomorrow, with a batch of unused tyres, surely the factory would think about trying to get a day or two somewhere in Europe, so that's it not all down to the the third and final test at Jerez.

Nothing stopping them doing this except their tyre allocation. They get a total for the season which includes tests (I think it's 203 tyres/pairs?) and so once they run out they're on part-worns ;)

Cobbett 29-Feb-2012 21:49

Quote:

Nothing stopping them doing this except their tyre allocation. They get a total for the season which includes tests (I think it's 203 tyres/pairs?) and so once they run out they're on part-worns ;)

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the phone trying to get somewhere for a day or two. Anglesey might be free.:frog:

skidlids 29-Feb-2012 22:19

They could book in on the Llandow trackday this weekend, should allow them to test 1st gear if nothing else :lol:

Cobbett 01-Mar-2012 12:21

So they finish testing with VR 10th, and Hayden 11th, bested by both satellite Yamahas, Barbera on the satellite Duc (three-tenths quicker than the factory), and the rookie Bradl, and in front of only a test rider and 3 CRTs. If that isn't dispiriting I don't know what is. And they're trying: Rossi did 57 laps, the second-most of any rider.