Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Battery Terminals (/showthread.php?t=24775)

Trig 06-Dec-2005 15:01

Battery Terminals

I took the battery off last night and noticed that the positive and negative were the opposite way round to the hand book:o

I realise it probably doesn't matter a damn but I had a non standard battery fitted under warranty and was wondering if the dealer changed the wiring routing. My 999 has the positive uppermost.:puzzled:

Whats the norm?

ChrisBushell 06-Dec-2005 15:06

It really DOES MATTER!!!!

Your bike should be connected with a negative earth on it. If you put it back the wrong way round you could blow the entire CPU, etc.

Put the battery back exactly as you found it

Twinfan 06-Dec-2005 15:44

Agreed. The replacement battery must have the terminals in the opposite place to the original.

Trig 06-Dec-2005 16:38

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisBushell
It really DOES MATTER!!!!

Your bike should be connected with a negative earth on it. If you put it back the wrong way round you could blow the entire CPU, etc.

Put the battery back exactly as you found it

I never intended to connect the red cable to negative, etc. and the battery can only go back in one position. What I meant was, that as long as the red cable connects to the positive terminal and the black cable connects to the negative terminal, it doesn't matter at which end of the battery the positive terminal sits;)

Trig 06-Dec-2005 16:40

Quote:

Originally posted by Twinfan
Agreed. The replacement battery must have the terminals in the opposite place to the original.

Must it? Or is the hand book wrong?

antonye 06-Dec-2005 16:47

Or maybe they put it in the wrong way round?

Trig 06-Dec-2005 16:57

Quote:

Originally posted by antonye
Or maybe they put it in the wrong way round?

No. I don't see how you can do that on the 999/749 series as the battery and cables all sit enclosed in a large plastic moulding.

antonye 06-Dec-2005 17:01

The ability of mechanics to totally screw things up should not be underestimated... ;)

HW 07-Dec-2005 13:55

I found that the cables on the 749 were really short so it was hard to get the battery out. I would be very surprised if they could be transposed, although I guess some rerouting could be done. If I recall, the negative (earth) is at the bottom and postive at the top.

Sorry, the pic was actually of the PC3 placement, but happened to include most of the battery too.

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by HW]

antonye 07-Dec-2005 15:08

Ah, ok I see what you mean now.

I'm sure it could be done *if* you took the battery cover etc, off and rerouted the wires, maybe? Either that or Glenn has bought a dodgy bike :D