Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Timing Belt Change (/showthread.php?t=284053)

r15suk 19-Feb-2014 16:28

Timing Belt Change

I'm going to change my 996 timimg belts soon and i have the cam holding tool and also a genuine Ducati tension guage.

I'm pretty good generally with stuff like this, but i do have a couple of questions;

1) Is the Haynes manual good enough and accurate enough to cover this task?

2) The manual mentions fabricating a tool to turn the crank. Is there something comercially available at a reasonable price to do this? Or is there another good way of doing it?

3) Any tricks to make it easier?

Many thanks
Simon

skidlids 19-Feb-2014 21:27

If doing it in the frame the easiest way to turn the engine is to put it on a paddock stand with a bearing, remove the spark plugs, put it in gear and turn the back wheel

Quote:

Originally Posted by r15suk
I'm going to change my 996 timimg belts soon and i have the cam holding tool and also a genuine Ducati tension guage.

I'm pretty good generally with stuff like this, but i do have a couple of questions;

1) Is the Haynes manual good enough and accurate enough to cover this task?

2) The manual mentions fabricating a tool to turn the crank. Is there something comercially available at a reasonable price to do this? Or is there another good way of doing it?

3) Any tricks to make it easier?

Many thanks
Simon

r15suk 19-Feb-2014 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
If doing it in the frame the easiest way to turn the engine is to put it on a paddock stand with a bearing, remove the spark plugs, put it in gear and turn the back wheel

Thanks for the tip. (I need to put the gear lever back now) :-)

simon

Iconic944ss 20-Feb-2014 10:28

Some photo help here:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/beltchange.html

r15suk 20-Feb-2014 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic944ss

Many thanks!
Simon