Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   track day tyres road/slick (/showthread.php?t=25284)

Bungi 24-Dec-2005 00:23

track day tyres road/slick

im thinking about tracy day tyres for 2006 and have never ridden on slicks, so i know u need warmers for slicks, come on santa read the list.

what benifit do slick offer, cost/durability/ grip

what make compound of slicks do people recomend how long do they last etc or shoiuld i stay with road tyres, i usually finfd myself at the sharp end of the fast group so i could probably use the benefit of more grip. ive been riding on soft compond supercorsas and 209 this year, and had a few memorable slides (PURP) would the slicks offer any better feedback etc here

just weighing up the tyhe value for money side of the situation as i dont have a money tree, ( santa not brought me one of those yet despite it being on my list 10 years running)

GsxrAge 24-Dec-2005 00:33

never rode on slicks mate.

I am normaly up the sharp end of the fast group as well and I run diablo corsas and normaly sort sldes with tyre presures and maybe run rear damping a bit softer.

My worry with slicks would be if it was wet and all you had were slicks ! slicks in the wet are a no no for mortals like us.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by AGE996]

Bungi 24-Dec-2005 00:47

so what do you find works with the tyre pressures. and for damping are you talking about compression/rebound or both.

i was finding a lot of rear sliding a problem

i have wets on spare rims so wouldnt be bothered about riding slicks in the wet, it just shouldnt really happen.

GsxrAge 24-Dec-2005 01:28

Yeah i run 28 to 30 rear presure and soften off the compression damping just to allow a bit more squat. The back end still slides but it is controlable.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by AGE996]

Harv748 24-Dec-2005 01:37

Bungi...I know knob all about slicks as I run at the slow end of the inters...but from what I have read and understand from here, there and everywhere is that slicks can be a a very expensive/confusing option.

Unless you really (and I mean REALLY) know your stuff, I've heard that there are a million and one combinations of slick out there. If you are happy to take what your given...go for it.

I always look at things like this and think to the R6 cup boys who probably run 10-15 secs a lap faster the fastest of the fast group, on road legal treaded dunlops.

If you want to blow your money on slicks...knock yourself out, but I would rather spend my money on trying to improve MY ability.

This is not a dig at your ability in any way...just a general obersavtion.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Harv748]

TP 24-Dec-2005 02:42

This is an interesting point I've been going over in my head. Those of us on here with a fair bit of experience (not me) will be smiling at us as they've been down this road before I'm sure but ...

I can run comfortably in the fast group at pretty much any circuit on a 620 monster on standard diablo's. I'm going to Jerez for a few days at the end of Jan and I'm taking the 998R. It is currently fitted with rennsports that have a few day's under their belt and I'm going to try a set of pirelli slicks out there and see how I get on. I'll put them on after I get to know the track and the rennsports are shagged.

My understanding, from questioning racers etc on this, is that the 17 inch slicks will give a bit more grip, allowing more lean, earlier throttle opening, braking later and leaned over etc ... but lasting longer than treaded tyres and giving you a second or so a lap. 16.5 inch slicks will give you an additional 2 seconds a lap over and above that. Obviously there's a lot more expense in going down this road so I'm not, I'll run the 17 inch versions and see how I get on

So I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone got any laptimes from their trip to Jerez?

TP 24-Dec-2005 02:44

And anyone with experience on slicks care to comment on the information I've gathered above? Some experienced comments would be useful.

andyb 24-Dec-2005 09:55

"Anyone got any laptimes from their trip to Jerez?"

Jon, lily and i were under 2' 10" with mobile shicanes etc etc.

The 'genuine' fastest of the fastest, were under 2 mins.... 1'58" so on........that said, when my mate went earlier in the year there were 2 16yr old Honda stars on 600s doing 1' 46"!!

That doesnt mean cos your in the "fast" group your fast of course! We timed a lot of people in the "fast" group on our trip and were not suprised by the times!

Jon/lily could explain it better they understood who was a supposed racer and in what!

:D

Oh, you also need to add the "risk" factor in there............just how hard are really going to push on your 998r? more than the DD bike?

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by andyb]

JPM 24-Dec-2005 12:08

The fastest I got down to was just a tad over a 2:06 (from the lap timer on the R) in fact I think we all got to about that on the odd occasion, 2:08's/10's were consistent with traffic I guess, I went faster on 209's than I did on 208's if that's anything to go by

TP 24-Dec-2005 12:33

Some good advice, thanks guys.

How hard will I push the 998R - not as hard as the DD bike. But I'm not going pish around either. I've got a lot of things I want to work on with my riding and I find that a lot of things only come together for me when I'm in a groove. Then of course I want to try the slicks and see if I can notice the difference and see if I can go a bit harder.

I've heard a rumour that a few Glasgae boys were fairly nippy. Bill around the 2:00 mark and Martin around the 1:55 mark? Sounds like Martin is pretty quick.