Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Insuring a foreign bike (/showthread.php?t=32494)

Tonio600 22-Jun-2006 13:52

Insuring a foreign bike

Hi there,

I'm not sure I will register my bike in the UK, I would have to go through a long and expensive process... ... ... ... Feck that, I'm a biker :lol: I want to ride now, period ;)

So anyone could recommend an insurance company which doesn't mind insuring bike with a non-UK plate?

Cheers
Tonio.

Tonio600 22-Jun-2006 14:09

Third Party, Fire & Theft -> £20.12 / Month

For a 600 Monster, I've got 1 year NCB, what do you reckon?

Chaz 22-Jun-2006 14:43

Try AXA it's a froggy co.lol

Tonio600 22-Jun-2006 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by chass
Try AXA it's a froggy co.lol

been with them in France, didn't really like them.

ducatisps 23-Jun-2006 10:33

Who did you get the quote of £20.12 a month from?

Tonio600 23-Jun-2006 10:41

eInsurance I think, pay as you go quote...

Ray 23-Jun-2006 12:57

Tonio,

The Bureaucrats might have something to say about this if a problem arises like a claim, pull by the ANPR etc.

Not sure if it is still the same but isn't some consistency needed re road tax, insurance MOT equivalent all needing to be for the country of registration?

Didn't Henners go into this, but in the opposite direction as it were when thinking of taking a 996r to Spain?

Can you only keep a French reg'd, taxed, tested, insured bike on UK roads for 12 months???????

The DVLA website might have some info.

There might be a few pitfalls to look out for?

I've never had an insurer ask if a vehicle is Uk registered but maybe there is something in the policy docs?? UK MOT and tax???

A mate used to run an Italian registered Integrale rally car in the UK but it went back to Italy once a year for the equivalent of an MOT and the insurance was either on a traders policy or on a rally by rally basis. It was probably "taxed" in Italy as well.

Ray.

Tonio600 23-Jun-2006 13:38

You go the point Ray. According to the law I think a vehicule must be UK registered after 6 months living here. But then I'm quite often going back to France so that's not a real problem. I will always have a ferry ticket to show.

Other thing, in France there is no road tax nor MOT for the bikes...

Ray 23-Jun-2006 13:51

Tonio,

Off to the South of France again this weekend, based on the above I might just stop there!! Shame it's without the 998.

I'd stick with insuring the bike in France if I was you, no info. for the UK authorities is the way to go!

Ray.

ducatisps 23-Jun-2006 14:47

Did you talk to them or do it over the internet - If on the internet I would seriously suggest you check with them by telephone. Our understanding is that you should get the bike registered in the UK if you are importing it. http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/expt...%20A%20VEHICLE for more information. If you are using it here and are domiciled in France then it should be insured from France or maybe somone like http://www.alessie.com/html/europe1.html may be able to help?