Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Regulator/Rectifier Wiring Help Please. (/showthread.php?t=81006)

spinoli1 01-Nov-2009 14:56

Regulator/Rectifier Wiring Help Please.

Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

There are 3 yellow wires that come out of the reg/rec, which lead to a block connector. The other side of the block connector has 3 yellow wires leaving the connector.

On my bike, this block connector caught fire and has melted away completely - spectacular, but not what you want on the way home on a Firday night.

I am going to replace the damaged wires and put in a replacement block connector.

The problem is I cannot identify which yellow wire (from the reg rec) should connect to which of the 3 yellow wires on the other side of the block connector.

Can anyone help me with this? Or does it not matter (any yellow wire to any yellow wire)?

I am an electrical moron, and would appreciate any advice.

Spin

BTW, once the wiring is sorted, I will set about establishing why it caught fire in the first place.

TopiToo 01-Nov-2009 15:01

Hello

maybe of some help:)

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=78401

TopiToo

Ghost 01-Nov-2009 16:00

It doesn't matter, just make the new connection. Use some good quality terminals and coat with silicone grease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinoli1
Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

There are 3 yellow wires that come out of the reg/rec, which lead to a block connector. The other side of the block connector has 3 yellow wires leaving the connector.

On my bike, this block connector caught fire and has melted away completely - spectacular, but not what you want on the way home on a Firday night.

I am going to replace the damaged wires and put in a replacement block connector.

The problem is I cannot identify which yellow wire (from the reg rec) should connect to which of the 3 yellow wires on the other side of the block connector.

Can anyone help me with this? Or does it not matter (any yellow wire to any yellow wire)?

I am an electrical moron, and would appreciate any advice.

Spin

BTW, once the wiring is sorted, I will set about establishing why it caught fire in the first place.

spinoli1 01-Nov-2009 16:09

Thanks TopiToo.

Unfortunately, that thread doesn't answer my question - which yellow wire to which yellow wire.

Hopefully someone can answer this question.

Spin

spinoli1 01-Nov-2009 16:13

Whilst I was reading Shazam's article, Ghost posted the answer I am seeking.

Ghost - many thanks - Just to be absolutely sure (and before I do more damage because I have misunderstood your answer) are you saying that I can connect any of the reg/rec yellow wires to any of the yellow wires on the other side of the block connector?

Sorry to be pedantic, but really don't want another flamer.

Cheers,

Spin

skidlids 01-Nov-2009 16:29

Quote:

Whilst I was reading Shazam's article, Ghost posted the answer I am seeking.

Ghost - many thanks - Just to be absolutely sure (and before I do more damage because I have misunderstood your answer) are you saying that I can connect any of the reg/rec yellow wires to any of the yellow wires on the other side of the block connector?

Sorry to be pedantic, but really don't want another flamer.

Cheers,

Spin

Yes its safe to connect any yellow wire from the alternator to any yellow wire going to the regulator, they all have a AC voltage and as its not driving a motor the order in which they are connected doesn't matter

spinoli1 01-Nov-2009 19:52

Thanks guys!

Spin

Ghost 01-Nov-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
Yes its safe to connect any yellow wire from the alternator to any yellow wire going to the regulator, they all have a AC voltage and as its not driving a motor the order in which they are connected doesn't matter

Cheers Kev, saved my fingers.

MLC Racing 02-Nov-2009 10:41

Quote:

Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

I'd be interested to know what caused your electrical failure as the block connector on my DD bike has a certain charcoaly, crispyness about it!!

nelly 02-Nov-2009 13:05

Pretty common. The connectors get dirty or corroded. This causes increased resistance across the terminals and manifests itself as heat. There can be some pretty high Amp'age across tehre and the heat melts the plastic connector and insulation. Snowballs from that as the resistance increases and eventually the assembly melts/fails.
Regular cleaning and electrolyte helps.