Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Heavy Clutch (/showthread.php?t=2023)

SSTU 27-Jul-2003 10:49

Heavy Clutch

Some people seem to have problems with there clutch ie very hard to pull the lever.
I my self and richr do not have this problem and I think if your clutch is heavy there is something wrong and it may need attention.

psychlist 28-Jul-2003 07:20

Huh!?!

Go on then, like what!

Colin900SSFE 28-Jul-2003 08:05

Yup, like I am wondering where the first post has gone with the a reply up top ;)

SSTU 02-Aug-2003 10:32

I dont know I am not a mechanic I was merly making an observation that not all ss have a clutch problem.
Just as a sugestion. Have you tride comletly draning the fluid and bleeding the line from scratch?
Is the correct grade of fluid installed?

psychlist 02-Aug-2003 16:25

Not a problem I \'ve come across SSTU?

I know plenty of people complain about Duke clutches being very heavy (only in comparison to Jap bikes) and if you cant get used to it then it can be sorted by changing to a bigger master cylinder. Changing old fluid wont help with the "heaviness", but will stop your clutch feeling worn out. Old fluid (with air absorbed into it) will compress itself rather than transmit the pressure to the clutch operating lever so you wont get as much push on the clutch mechanism as your pull on the lever. Cheers for the thought though.
What I would like to know is why has my clutch fluid gradualy gone black!?!

Rushjob 02-Aug-2003 18:37

They all do that Sir:lol:

Murray Mint 02-Aug-2003 23:06

Yep they sure do, strange one aint it.

psychlist 03-Aug-2003 21:08

But why?

andy900 03-Aug-2003 21:53

i think it is because a certain amout of crap can seep through the seal on the master cylinder which is known to be a bit poor, i have a yoyodyne mastercylinder on mine and my fluid is as clear as a bell all of the time

SSTU 08-Aug-2003 20:51

Maybe the fluid is picking up colour from the rubber in the hoses!