Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Seat units ? What are you using ? (/showthread.php?t=264544)

mark 999 21-Oct-2013 16:06

Seat units ? What are you using ?

I'm fitting a 748/916 tank to mine over winter and it takes the seat height up considerably to match the line of the tank.

I currently have an R6 tail unit fitted which aint going to be adaptable to the new tank height. (I know this because I hacked and ground it to bits yesterday, but ended up with just a lot of dust and scrap plastic !)

So what do you use and how well do they fit ?

I know Phil D has a fireblade seat unit and Ghost a ZX10, whilst DW appears to have the ZX6 ?

I'm wanting to keep the enclosed look of the R6, so any suggestions please and any to avoid ?

I appreciate I will be fabbing brackets to take it up a good 2 inches from the rear subframe, but want to know if I can still keep the enclosed look etc ?

I don't mind splashing out, but want to know what to buy before I do it, if anyone's done similar.

Cheeeeeeers.

skidlids 21-Oct-2013 18:34

I'm going with this for next year as is Dallas and he's popping around later in the week to pickup my spare 620 Monster to convert that, only problem is I have lent Kev Palmer my spare ZX10R seat unit so he can try it on his SS for next year

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/at...1&d=1372005727

Bimjob 21-Oct-2013 20:00

Mark what frame is your bike, an SS? I'm trying to replace my seat unit with an enclosed one too. Matt larett's got a Cbr 600 tail fairing that I think looks good.

Skids what is that seat unit in the picture and I take it the bikes an SS too? Also it looks like its fixed from under the seat foam which I take it means the foam needs to be removed each time you need to take the seat unit off or I suppose you could have a couple of access holes in the foam. Either way are there any good places to get them from other than the obvious eBay?

mark 999 21-Oct-2013 21:22

Mines a Monster frame, which seems to rise higher than the SS.

Is that a ZX10 unit Kev and is that a Monster frame or SS ?

I might have sourced a Fireblade unit, so hoping it will go on easily enough.

coppersaucepipe 21-Oct-2013 22:20

Andy Bloomfield has a blade seat unit on his monster

skidlids 21-Oct-2013 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimjob
Mark what frame is your bike, an SS? I'm trying to replace my seat unit with an enclosed one too. Matt larett's got a Cbr 600 tail fairing that I think looks good.

Skids what is that seat unit in the picture and I take it the bikes an SS too? Also it looks like its fixed from under the seat foam which I take it means the foam needs to be removed each time you need to take the seat unit off or I suppose you could have a couple of access holes in the foam. Either way are there any good places to get them from other than the obvious eBay?

Jim as with Mark's frame my 2014 bike uses a Monster frame an the seat unit is a ZX10R hence why I have a Spare ZX10R seat, the seat foam will be cored to allow access to the bolts which is pretty standard practice.

My pair came off ebay as some guy racing a ZX10R produced several from a mold he made and by collecting in person I got a deal on his final two

Mine will have a stick on foam pad where Dallas has gone up market and got the seat unit with the pad that attaches with Dzus fasteners and are available on Ebay for around £150

skidlids 21-Oct-2013 23:07

By next weekend this one

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/at...7&d=1379617071

May well be sporting a 916 tank and ZX10R seat, along with having a couple of fairing mounts welded to the headstock

mat2hew 22-Oct-2013 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
By next weekend this one

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/at...7&d=1379617071

May well be sporting a 916 tank and ZX10R seat, along with having a couple of fairing mounts welded to the headstock

your always so busy Kev...

Jonzi 22-Oct-2013 12:04

I have started to have a R6 unit for mine. on an SS frame.

It can't be closed in underneath though.

I will try to get some pictures of it and post them up for you to have a look Jim

Bimjob 22-Oct-2013 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonzi

I will try to get some pictures of it and post them up for you to have a look Jim

Cheers Dan. Ideally I want an enclosed one though but look forward to the pics

skidlids 22-Oct-2013 22:57

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonzi

A few pics of an early SS with R6 Seat unit