Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Alarms and Related Security (/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   749 engine cutting out (/showthread.php?t=23544)

DamianCross 31-Oct-2005 19:47

749 engine cutting out

My '05 749 engine keeps cutting out on me. The amber engine light comes on and it coughs and splutters before finally giving up. She's five months old.

Revving the engine worked for a bit, but it just jerked violently back and forth. It's sitting at Daytona M/C's right now after being recovered by the AA (aka Ducati Breakdown :).

I've read that this could be something as simple as remapping the ECU, or possibly a 'coil' problem????

ak47 31-Oct-2005 19:51

mine has been in and out for the past 3 months.......same thing....and as yet no solution!!!!! tried ecu, coil, throttle bodies, timing gear.....the lot and nothing yet has made it better. it is actually worse. Get is sorted as there nothing more frightening than the engine cutting out as you are moving

HW 31-Oct-2005 23:17

If you can get ot the bike, hold down the left hand dash button (I think) whilst you switch on the ignition. You should see the word "error" come up in the bottom left and a number in the right display. If there is more than one error then they will cycle between them.

Whilst you do that, I'll go and find the list of error codes!

HW 31-Oct-2005 23:33

Here's the list

749/999 Error Codes

1.1 TPS Disconnected
1.2 TPS short circuit to earth
2.1 Pressure Sensor short circuit to power supply
2.2 Pressure Sensor shorted to earth
3.1 Water Temp Sensor shorted to power supply
3.2 Water Temp Sensor shorted to earth
4.1 Air Temp Sensor shorted to power supply
4.2 Air Temp Sensor Shorted to earth
5.1 Battery Hi
5.2 Battery Lo

10.1 Hor. Coil shorted to power supply
10.2 Hor. Coil shorted to earth
11.1 Ver. Coil shorted to power supply
11.2 Ver. Coil shorted to earth
12.1 Inj1 shorted to power supply
12.2 Inj1 shorted to earth
13.1 Inj2 shorted to power supply
13.2 Inj2 shorted to earth
14.1 Inj3 shorted to to power supply
14.2 Inj3 shorted to earth
15.1 Inj4 shorted to powersupply
15.2 Inj4 shorted to earth
16.0 Pump Relay
17.1 LH Fan shorted to poer supply
17.2 LH Fan shorted to earth
18.1 RH Fan shorted to power supply
18.2 RH Fan shorted to earth
19.1 Starter Solenoid shorted to power supply
19.2 Starter Solenoid shorted to earth

30.0 ROM/Eprom error
34.0 Signal Panel Sensor
36.0 Speed sensor
37.0 Immobiliser (transponder)
37.1 Immobiliser (antenna)
37.2 Immoiliser (instrument panel serial driver)
37.3 Immobiliser (serial cable disconnected)
37.4 Immobiliser (ccm serial drive)
37.5 Immobiliser (key not recognised)
37.6 Can Line error

HW 31-Oct-2005 23:47

I've had trouble with a coil intermittant and then failing altogether ... as have many here, and I've also had the ECU fail on one cylinder which caused an error message that LOOKED like a failed coil but was in fact the ECU.

DamianCross 01-Nov-2005 00:10

HW,

You are most helpful, thank you! I'm just keen to get out there and check out a new feature on my bike :)

HW 01-Nov-2005 07:38

No problem, hope you get it sorted.

The coils can be a problem on these models regardless of age. If you've not looked at one yet, they are a combined plug cap/coil like those used on BWM and Audi cars (and others). They cost a small fortune, about £110, EACH. Whilst no doubt reliable or cars, they do not seem to do well on bikes.

All you see of it is the low voltage 3 pin connector, on the older models. On these the connector was part of the assembly. If you look at the top of the front cylinder you will see it. I actually accidentally knocked the connector part off on that one when cleaning early in my 749S ownership. Very embarrassing, after I had the AA recover me 150 miles home. Noticed the problem just before I took it to the dealer to be fixed. They suffer badly from the wet, and the later models (of coil) had a short flying lead with the same type of connector on, except you could tuck it away behind the left hand fairing panel.

Another issue with these coils is the seal around the top. It is a kind of built in double o-ring, only it has gaps in the ring (much like piston rings in fact). Apparently, they idea is this lets trapped air out that gets heated up around the plug. Fair enough, but it also lets in water! The standard V-piece on the 2003 749 modals had a convenient rectangular cut out so you could easily change the coil without needing to remove the panel. It also lets in water and muck thrown in from the front wheel! Brilliant! The rear coil fares not much better. You will notice that the top of the rocker cover is dished. If you wash your bike on a paddock stand, you would be advised to take it off the stand straight after to let the water drain out of this area before it works it's way down the rear coil. The steel tubes of both of my coils were very rusty, the front one especially. Why they are not stainless is anyone's guess!

Needless to say, you should put some "rubber grease" around the top of the seal when refitting to help keep water out.

Rambled on long enough on this ... better get bike loaded for my track day now. :bouncy:

mark749s 09-Nov-2005 22:50

mine did the same today, farting and spluttering engine light on managed to get to where i was going but did not think it would. I was in the very heavy rain on sunday, it ran well but not today. left the bike for an hour and then it sparked up as if nothing was wrong. is there a water deflector to protect the front coil?
mine is 4 1/2 months old 04 model 749s done 5800 miles

mark

Bibjo 09-Nov-2005 22:53

Am I making a mistake buying my new 749??? :rolleye:

mark749s 09-Nov-2005 23:01

i have been out in all weathers and this is the first time it has missed a beat, it is now at the dealers having the 6000 mile service so we will see, i am sure it will be ok
ps after i have done the IAM test i wont be out in the p*ssing rain knowingly

go for it

mark