Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle (/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Wireless routers - what's the bobby? (/showthread.php?t=28058)

Rattler 10-Mar-2006 20:20

Wireless routers - what\'s the bobby?

So after getting my new laptop running (many thanks to Paul James for loan of software) - I now want to go wireless.

The laptop is a Centrino jobby, and I figure I need a wireless router to complete the job, but I'm not sure;
- which one I need?
- do they all do the job?
- do I need a specific one etc...?
- what does the laptop use to connect?

I'm on BT Broadband at home, - I'm using a BT Voyager ADSL Router at the mo;
- do I swap this for a wireless one?
- Do I add the wireless router to it?
- what will work?

I don't think of myself as a technophobe, but sometimes I surprise myself!! ;)

Thanks in advance
Tim

pedro 10-Mar-2006 20:29

humm.now then tim,i got me a laptop.acer 3003,the wireless was built in & my wireless sender is a linksys. the phone line goes into the linksys.i got it from comet for around £60. i found them in comet to be helpfull with the wireless. got my neighbour (brian) to set it up for 4 cans of carling:)

pedro 10-Mar-2006 20:40

the bt router goes in the bin tim.

Jools 10-Mar-2006 20:43

I think all centrino's have a built in NIC card ? If not the PCMCIA cards aren't all that expensive

What you need then is a wireless ADSL router and just plug it in in place of the standard BT box. That's what I did. A couple of minutes easy peasy config with the network wizard and I was wireless.

I got a Belkin router from PC World. Inexpensive and does everything I want it to.

Rattler 10-Mar-2006 21:33

Thanks guys - I'm off to PC world ;)

chrisw 10-Mar-2006 21:43

If you upgrade your BT broadband to their wireless package then you can get a wireless router for £10 and a wireless adaptor for your laptop for £29.99 (if you are on options 3 & 4). It's just an administrative change. Your broadband bill appears on your telephone bill.

https://bt.com/btbroadband/ns_withou...BVCooki e=yes

Rattler 11-Mar-2006 15:47

Right - just signed up for Broadband talk service and got the wireless router for £30 - so all happy.

Thanks for the help.
Tim