Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   1198 / 1098 / 848 (/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Gear Indicator fitting problem - HELP PLEASE?!?! (/showthread.php?t=80324)

star1970 13-Aug-2009 13:48

Gear Indicator fitting problem - HELP PLEASE?!?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to fit a Biketronix gear indicator to my 1098 with a lot of frustration and expletives yet without much success at present --- arrgghh!

All I need (sounds simple, I hope it is) is to know which colour wire either at the rear of the speedo or the ECU is the 'tacho / pulse' wire...

Anyone out there who can help me please? I even have the wiring diagram, but am still not the wiser.

KeefyB 15-Aug-2009 08:32

Just spotted this,......in the non m/cycle help board.Mebbe the webteam can move it?

Does'nt the 1098 use can line electrics similar to the 749/999?:confused:
If that is the case,I would say fitting some aftermarket gear indicator would be damn near impossible.
I cant say I've ever needed one,would'nt it become a distraction on the road?A lot of riders moan when the service spanner icon starts flashing.

Iconic944ss 15-Aug-2009 09:12

Moved :)

Here is the manufacturers website:

http://www.biketronix-racing.com/

No mention of a UK dealer sadly.............

However,

By co-incidence I was looking for a new multi-meter the other day and noticed that Maplin sell some very reasonable meters that have the ability to measure RPM from some sort of inductive loop!

Not sure if this really would help you find the wire you are looking for but good luck.

iang 15-Aug-2009 10:42

I tried for weeks to fit a gear indicator to my RC8 and found it impossible to get a strong enough pulse with the can bus wiring system. Even the manufacturer could not get it to work.

The most helpful company was Acumen, I told them it was one of their indicators and they tried their best to help, the wiring was fairly similar.

http://www.acutrac.co.uk/diagnostics...inLinksDG8.htm

duc daz 15-Aug-2009 22:18

i was told when i brought my 1098 that a gear indicator would not work on this bike

skidlids 16-Aug-2009 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by star1970

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to fit a Biketronix gear indicator to my 1098 with a lot of frustration and expletives yet without much success at present --- arrgghh!

All I need (sounds simple, I hope it is) is to know which colour wire either at the rear of the speedo or the ECU is the 'tacho / pulse' wire...

Anyone out there who can help me please? I even have the wiring diagram, but am still not the wiser.

I cant be certain
but on the 998 the Green/Grey (G/Gr) is the tacho wire coming from pin 9 of the body connector

On the 1098 there is a green/Grey (G/Gr) coming from pin 29 of the body connector that goes to both the Dash and the Data Aquisition port

So this maybe the wire your after