Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Check the small print (/showthread.php?t=26308)

lancisto 24-Jan-2006 21:40

Check the small print

I don't know if it's common knowledge, but it wasn't for me until a nice lady a Ducati Insurance told me. Ducati insurance and several others do not give cover to your bike if it is within 2 miles of your house. Therefore, summers afternoon, just washed and polished your bike on the drive, go inside to get your gear on and come outside to find said bike gone, then find out you are not covered. Small print says the bike has to be in locked garage at all times when at home address.
I'm currently with Benetts which says bike has to be in the garage between 10pm and 6am, which I think is reasonable.
If all this has been said before, apologies, but it is worth knowing

AK 24-Jan-2006 21:52

Carole Nash are the same - that why we always lob ours straight in after a ride.
They come out for a clean, when we have changed & the engines have cooled a little - neither do we often fill up in the garage round the corner for the same reason (and also cos the bikes hate re-starting on cold days when they have done half a mile)

C

Nattyboy 25-Jan-2006 01:30

Cheerrist..I didnt know that ???!!

bradders 25-Jan-2006 01:42

would be very surprised, most polices have a 'must be locked away' clause betweem 10pm-6am normally. But if you leave for work at 4.30am, and its unlockled ready to go but lifted, I doubt they wouldnt pay out providing you didnt leave the keys in it

chrisw 25-Jan-2006 01:45

Just checked my Devitt policy - 500 yard radius from home address theft exclusion unless garaged.

Stu748R 25-Jan-2006 12:18

Same here 500mts from house however i think you'll find that your insured but on a higher excess.I am also with Ducati Insurance but i might have different terms and conditions.

electricsheep 25-Jan-2006 13:10

Ducati Insurance is a broker, so it will depend on who actually issues the policy.

PB 25-Jan-2006 19:42

Another issue that raised its ugly head a couple of years ago for a friend of mine:

He had an automatic renewal of his insurance through his broker, and his cover included riding other bikes with the owners permission. However, he found out when stopped by the police, riding a friend's bike, that the level of cover had changed at the last renewal such that he was no longer covered to ride other bikes - and he had not been informed!

After a lenghty explanation in court the magistrates believed his innocence (largely helped when he disclosed what he paid annually in insurance to cover his house, business, cars & bikes!). The police on the other hand were hell bent on a conviction, even though he was not stopped for any particular offence - only a "desire to inform the public of road safety issues"!

Beware unannounced changes in your insurance cover - particularly if, like me, your cover is renewed automatically unless you contact the broker.......

rockhopper 25-Jan-2006 23:16

My bike is insured with Equity Red Star through Ducati Insurance. It is garaged but the policy doesn't require it to be!!

The policy document says that if the insurance is based on the bike being garaged and it is then stolen within 500 metres of that garage then the excess will be doubled. No mention of not paying out.

megalite 31-Jan-2006 18:55

whats the punishment for riding without insurance then? doubt its that serious?