Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Do you / have you own(ed) a 748R? (/showthread.php?t=7317)

aws 09-May-2004 08:40

Do you / have you own(ed) a 748R?

I took a 748 R out on a test ride on Friday.
I have a few questions that I would like answering.
Do not want to bog down this part of the site with stuff that may have been covered but I thought the motor was seriously awsome, the throttle response poor, the fueling strange at low revs, the rear suspenion a revelation, the front end off-the power-banked-over not good at all, noise - fun but I wonder if I was riding a dog ('00 model Showa with 6.5K on the clock on 207rr)

my email is tim@t-f-p.com if you have any comments / real experience / knowledge as I feel I may need to try a 2nd bike as this one threw up too many unanswered questions that would not warrant the extra £ over a bip.

thanks

aws 09-May-2004 13:05

The light weight wheels were a major difference too.
Forgot to mention.
When pootling along, she was one bike up to her engine, and the same as my bip there uwards.
Felt odd and I put it down to her light wheels.
The clutch was dreadfully heavy.
You could not ride her in traffic for long.
The fueling was so poor and the play on the throttle of almost 1/2 inch (seemed like that) meant that I really did not come away impressed - except the engine above 8K was a rush, and I mean rush - wow.

The extra £ might be best spent on an 996 or 916sp maybe?

Too many issues for road / track work combined it would seem (?)

aws

TJ 09-May-2004 16:11

Hi,

Ive actually just bought a 748R, but have still to pick it up.

From what you say it seems like a rubbish bike, most people ive spoken to praise it and really say it is an awesome bike. But a lot different than the 748bip.

I had a 748sp a while ago (wasnt for long) and i bought it in pretty cheap, unfortunately i havent been able to test ride a 748R and went on insticts.. hope i was right, can any one tell me how similar it is to the 748sp... also is it really that bad?

I think it may have been the one you test rode. Remeber if suspension is played around with it changes the whole feel of the bike, especially if its not to your weight and sizing etc... also how up-to-date was the service history? maybe it was due a service, did the bike have aftermarket cans?

TJ

DJ Tera 09-May-2004 18:59

Sounds like a bad one, especially as it doesn't come with ohlins front.... 748R are designed to spend most of their life above 7000rpm, the newer ones have F1 style shower injectors as fitted to the 998, which sometimes cause the engine to stall when braking sharply, as you pull the clutch in.

PS what are you doing banked over and off the power? :P

andyb 09-May-2004 20:00

Mate, get as newer one as you can, tyhe spec is better,including free 50mm termis etc

Get it jhp and change the chip for £25... fuelling sorted!!!

The 748r runs probably the lumpiest cams of any Duke. The best way to trade off the lack of bottom end is to fit a 38 tooth rear sprocket.

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip
rear sprocket and or carrier

Worked for me, i had a 2002 748r( with the shower injectors), excellent fun.

Mate, get as newer one as you can, tyhe spec is better,including free 50mm termis etc

The 748r runs probably the lumpiest cams of any Duke. The best way to trade off the lack of bottom end is to fit a 38 tooth rear sprocket.

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip

Worked for me, i had a 2002 748r( with the shower injectors, excellent fun.

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip

andyb 09-May-2004 20:04

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip

andyb 09-May-2004 20:04

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip

andyb 09-May-2004 20:13

So to recapp-
best bike you can afford
jhp chip