Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   900SS headlight information (/showthread.php?t=443989)

pbrown 18-Apr-2016 00:18

900SS headlight information

Looking for a headlight for a '91 900ss. The one that is fitted is for the euro market so need one that dips left.

Anyone know if these are off a car and what make/model or did Ducati actually get them made specially?

Iconic944ss 18-Apr-2016 01:26

Hello again, I'm guessing you found a bike then?

I have a spare headlight from Ebay, took an AGE for a good one to come up, but they do. Signing into Ebay.de and Ebay.it specifically can reveal some interesting results too.

I think the OEM Ducati ones are a one-off special (but also for others in the SS and 851/888 series).

However, I'm sure I remember someone saying an oblong headlight from a similar age Yamaha could be made to work, FZ750?

Good luck

Quite a few on Ebay including one brand new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-...-/271833489728

pbrown 18-Apr-2016 09:30

Yep picked a '91 model up on Friday. Very happy with it.
I've used eBay.we & eBay.it before with some good results for other stuff.

Wouldn't a headlight from Germany or Italy be the same as I have already and dip right?

I'll have a look at Yamaha lights. The carbs are same as Yamaha, maybe Ducati had a tie up with them?

antonye 18-Apr-2016 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbrown
I'll have a look at Yamaha lights. The carbs are same as Yamaha, maybe Ducati had a tie up with them?

Yamaha don't make headlights any more than Ducati do.

Yamaha would have given the specifications to a company and they would have made it for them.
Ducati may have contacted the same company and after a bit of discussion decided to use the same headlight - it would be a much cheaper way of doing things. Same for carbs, wheels, disks, brake calipers, brake master cylinders, chains... etc etc!

pbrown 19-Apr-2016 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
Yamaha don't make headlights any more than Ducati do.

Yamaha would have given the specifications to a company and they would have made it for them.
Ducati may have contacted the same company and after a bit of discussion decided to use the same headlight - it would be a much cheaper way of doing things. Same for carbs, wheels, disks, brake calipers, brake master cylinders, chains... etc etc!

Do tell the name of the company and preferably the part number as well!!

antonye 19-Apr-2016 22:23

I know I have one with a hole in it somewhere in the garage, but normally there's a manufacturer's name on there somewhere. It might be worth a bit of Googling to see if you can find any cross-reference numbers.

pbrown 20-Apr-2016 01:31

I need to take some bits off the bike & I'll look for a name and part numbers and see what I can find.

stafford 03-May-2016 14:04

Sounds nuts but a possible fit is the early Metro car ones, should be cheap as chips.

pbrown 03-May-2016 19:14

I've managed to pick one up at a reasonable price but will look into the metro headlight for a possible spare.