Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   mono subframes ? made of cheese (/showthread.php?t=34789)

Wave 13-Aug-2006 17:18

mono subframes ? made of cheese

ok i know these are made of ally, and are not meant for the weight of a pillion.
as you might have read i went touring in scotland, i got a pillion seat unit and just bodged it onto the mono subframe just to carry soft panniers.
i had about 10-15kgs in the panniers and got a bit of airbourne action in scotland.
cleaning the bike today the subframe has completly snapped both sides towards the rear :| and looking at the thickness of the metal it looks like its not meant to carry any weight at all.

anyone know where i can pick up another Mono subframe ?

Loz 13-Aug-2006 17:22

I remember when Bike magazine first road-tested the 999 monoposto. They snapped the frame too, without the luggage. If I needed any further persuasion to get a Bip, there it was!

Carbon749 13-Aug-2006 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wave

anyone know where i can pick up another Mono subframe ?

Cheaper to have it braced and repaired.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 18:56

could you point me in the right direction ?
i could take some pictures of the damage if that would help

Carbon749 13-Aug-2006 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wave
could you point me in the right direction ?
i could take some pictures of the damage if that would help

Where in the world are you ? KNow a few good places in the Derby area, Spondon Engineering are good guys for ally work.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 19:25

Bromley, south London

andyb 13-Aug-2006 20:15

I think it was colin chapman who spoke about car parts saying if they didnt last a race, they were too weak, and if they lasted longer they were too heavy/strong.

its a mono seat frame, designed as such.........extra weight over the rear of the frame (inc the leverage effect from the mounting points) it wasnt designed for!

iang 13-Aug-2006 20:26

Surely the subframe should still take the weight of a pannier bag, I mean I am less than 11st but I know others that are up to 16st so this is a vast difference in weight.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 20:49

i thought that, but looking at the thickness of the metal, i wouldnt even trust it to hold its own weight. let alone the exhaust and 10kg panniers, granted getting the bike airbourne isnt a good idea, but please its less than a mm thick.

Wave 13-Aug-2006 21:01

heres a pic
its the same the other side too