Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   749/999 mono rear spring... Re-spring or ohlins? (/showthread.php?t=294266)

DRR007 25-Mar-2014 20:44

749/999 mono rear spring... Re-spring or ohlins?

Not being very knowledgable about the suspension settings I was after people's opinions of the rear shock. The bike will be taken on track days and only occasionally used on the road. The bikes a mono which is apparently set up for a rider probably half my (considerable) 120kg weight. I've increased the ride height to 285mm but as soon as I sit On the bike the back end struggles to support me! :-(

So do I swap it for a biposta shock (as I have just bought the parts to convert the bike to a bi) do I get my current shock re-sprung with a spring more suited to my weight (like hyper pro) or there's a lovely ohlins currently for sale on ebay which I'm tempted to buy.

Anyone any ideas or could point me in the right direction. Cheers

Spjallen 21-Aug-2014 16:53

The problem with the rear shock is its set up wrong fro the track. I soke to Richard at Maxton last night about this subject. The spring is far too soft and the bike will sit doen under power. The shock doesnt have enough rebound damping either making it extend too very quickly and feel very loose.

The way forward is a harder spring to suit your weight and and increase the rebound.

Maxton can do all this for you £180 plus vat. That said I bought an Ohlins from Andy with a stiffer spring and more adjustment on the rebound damping.

Plus, not all Ohlins have the correct spring. Make sure you get the right one, I learnt the hard way as I bought one with 75 which was far too light!!

skidlids 22-Aug-2014 22:34

Dean if its anything like the 916 range the Bip uses a spring that is 1kg/mm stiffer than the Mono. so if your looking at a difference between static sag and loaded sag figure of 20mm that's a extra 20kg the Bip spring will cope with