Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   You said HOW much?! (/showthread.php?t=24613)

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 16:46

You said HOW much?!

Well I came to re-insure my Ducati Monster 600 today. I've only just passed my test a year ago but have 3 years no claims. I'm 21 at the moment.

Down south in Southampton where I lived until coming to university I was paying £420 third party only. High but payable. That was with only 2 years no claims and a recent pass on my license.

Now with 3 years no claims and living in Glasgow third party only has shot up to £850! Thats the lowest I could find from a dozen insurers.

Why is third party only effected so much by location? I can see the reasoning behind theft being location based but why this.

Basically I cannot afford to own a bike in Glasgow, which is really going to hurt me in terms of commuting and enjoyment.

Sorry for the rant but this one really ticked me off.

antonye 01-Dec-2005 16:51

Have you tried Ducati Insurance? Discount for club members and it's only £25 to join so you could easily save more than your membership cost, many times over!

http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk/

ScottyB 01-Dec-2005 16:57

I second Antonye.

No NCB and a history on my license where points really do make prizes....

TPFT on a 749 dark last year £475!!!

I am in Stirling not far from Glasgow

Give them a call..........

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 17:07

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried Ducati Insurance and they quoted me £724, about a £100 less than the rest but still quite a lot.

I'm going to ring round and try and get it a bit lower by playing them off each other.

Another thought is that I will only be living in this high risk area for 5 months before I move back permanently. Hopefully this will be able to push it a bit lower, if not I'll try and get quotes for a 6 month policy.

ST4 01-Dec-2005 17:35

I was ringing around for car quotes and i found that TPO was more epxensive than TPFT!! Also fully comp was only about 15% more expensive than TPFT. I think they are trying to get people to buy fully comp insurance by pushing up the prices of the alternatives.

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 17:40

I did try TPFT as well but that was on the wrong side of £1500!

ScottyB 01-Dec-2005 17:58

Tranquil,

Not strictly legit this but how about leaving the bike registered at your other less expensive address?????

As you say you are only up here for 5 months then why go through the hassle??

If you have to claim god forbid you were up here visiting;)

Makes sense mate just do it!!!!

You're not a copper are you:P

TP 01-Dec-2005 18:00

Try Laxtons Insurance - they were a lot cheaper for me than Ducati Insurance.

JPM 01-Dec-2005 18:01

H&R for me, cheaper than Ducati Insurance and in Scotland too

tranquil_rage 01-Dec-2005 18:28

BRILLIANT JPM!

You just saved me a bomb! :sing:

Third Party from H&R, £500. Nice but still a bit steep.

TPFT from H&R £520, EXCELLENT!

Thanks to everyone whos helped out here.