Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   1198 / 1098 / 848 (/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   1098 Alternator Lunching Engine. (/showthread.php?t=80386)

MFish 19-Aug-2009 20:04

1098 Alternator Lunching Engine.

Just a "Heads Up" as our cousins over the pond might say. After a rattly few rides (which I fretted over, but did nothing except double check the oil) the alternator seems to have dissembled itself and jammed the engine.:eek:
I'm not sure if this is a common fault, but I've only done 11,000 miles in 2 1/2 years.:mad:
Am waiting for the quote for repairs with quaking knees, but hope for an ex gratia from ducati - what are my chances?
Cheers, Michael.

duc daz 19-Aug-2009 23:21

keep us updated mate

MFish 22-Aug-2009 11:23

Dealers will be looking at it 5th September, and will report back after.
Cheers,
Michael.

MFish 04-Sep-2009 11:12

Latest news,
Big end and con rod kippered. Ducati approached for an ex gratia claim, and don't want to know!
Cheers, Michael.

bradders 04-Sep-2009 12:16

when and where was it last serviced? FDSH should offer some protection...

nelly 04-Sep-2009 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFish
After a rattly few rides (which I fretted over, but did nothing except double check the oil) the alternator seems to have dissembled itself and jammed the engine.

Surely, if the oil was ok and the "rattle" persisted, you'd have it checked over?? Big end failure, or imminent failure would've been quite a rattle...

KeefyB 04-Sep-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly
Big end failure, or imminent failure would've been quite a rattle...

Oh yes,.....when my old 851's main bearings went you could hear the rumble above the noise of the open clutch and Termis!:eek: :eek: :eek:

MFish 07-Sep-2009 10:18

Last serviced at Snell's.
Never used any oil, though often checked.
Frequently used through the year, always warmed up before riding off.
Rattle very slight, only noisier in last minute, which was on the by pass near moto Rapido,where I took the bike. They originally thought it was the alternator.
Cheers, Michael.