Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Rear wheel fitment - help ?? (/showthread.php?t=38014)

JONESEY 23-Oct-2006 11:52

Rear wheel fitment - help ??

just received my 1991 851 rear wheel back from a dealer, after having new cush drive rubbers fitted. Due to a communication fault, the dealer first changed the rear wheel bearings in the rear wheel (how you can confuse changing the bearings with the cush drive is beyond me, 'specially when the new cush drive rubbers were in deloivered in a bag with the wheel.......). On offering the wheel up to the swinging arm and bolting it in, the wheel now locks up solid and will not rotate !! The wheel was free to rotate before it went away. On examination it appears to be the aluminium rear brake caliper bracket that is binding on the rear wheel hub - specifically the RHS bearing housing. All the spacers are in place as they should be. What i'm thinking is that they have driven the bearings too far in the hub thereby preventing the necessary spacers etc from contacting on each other when assembled ?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as i now have shiny new chain and sprockets on, but am unable to rotate the wheel when it is tightend up.

nelly 23-Oct-2006 12:52

The bearings sit up against a spacer that runs in between them. Make sure this isn't trapped.
Also check the spacer on the left hand side is the correct way round, taper inwards.

Douglas851 23-Oct-2006 15:03

2 Attachment(s)
Two pictures to show position of bearings in rear wheel

Jools 23-Oct-2006 16:48

On my 888 there is no spacer on the LHS. I noticed this when Fordie and me changed the rear sprocket. I was expecting there to be a spacer just like the one on my ST, but there wasn't one. I was certain that nothing dropped off when we changed the sprocket but, just in case, we spent about 10 minutes looking all over the garage floor then decided that it didn't have a spacer in the first place.

When the wheel is back in place there is only about 2mm clearance between the sprocket bolts and the swingarm. However, I've asked loads of 888 owners and ex owners and this tiny clearance is normal (I still don't like it mind you).

Obviously, the sprocket bolts are seated in the cush drive. Could it be that the cush rubbers are seated a bit proud (or maybe the wrong ones) and the bolts are now fouling the swingarm - wouldn't take much to take up that 2mm or so clearance....only 2mm or so in fact.

paynep 23-Oct-2006 17:40

You can't drive the bearings in too far - there is a shoulder in the wheel.

The bearings aren't sitting proud of the wheel are they, as you can get 17mm ID bearings in 12 and 14mm widths........?

phil_h 23-Oct-2006 19:12

Tell us where you are jonesey, and there might be someone near that can take a look or let you look at their bike.

Douglas851 24-Oct-2006 06:47

Do not leave the spacer between the swing arm and sprocket carrier out. It transfers the clamping load from the swingarm to the inner race of the sprocket carrier bearing. Without it the clamping load is going straight to the inner race of the wheel bearing. In other words without the spacer the sprocket is being held in line purely by the interference fit of the sprocket bearing.

JONESEY 24-Oct-2006 12:24

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies guys. The spacer on the LHS is in place, taper facing in towards sprocket carrier. The long spacer between the two bearings is in place. On Douglas 851 pictures, the bearing is shown flush with the end of the hub. Comparing that to mine (see pictures) my bearings are approx. 4mm in the hub ?! Douglas851 - can you see the number on the bearings and let me know ? The bearings i have in are marked 6203 which is 40mm OD, 17mm ID and 12mm thick. However, a 62203 bearing is 40mm OD, 17mm ID and 16mm thick !! I'm assuming the dealer has read the nos. incorrectly and put a thinner bearing in, which causes the wheel to lock up. I've contacted the dealer to see if he still has the old bearings in the rubbish bin so i can check the numbers.........

Iconic944ss 24-Oct-2006 12:38

2 Attachment(s)
Just had a quick look in the 888 manual I downloaded the other day; it mentions a spacer between the bearings but, I can only see a sleeve - looks very similar to my 900ss setup - I had this problem myself and has Nelly mentions it was becase I had the tapered spacer the wrong way around.

I'll try and add some screen shots

Frank

jgriff 24-Oct-2006 14:31

You have the wrong bearing in. Take it back to the dealer and tell him to fix it. Then ask him where the hell his mechanics got there trade papers! Off the back of a Cornflakes box I'd say.

Griff