Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Getting your bike to tracks.... (/showthread.php?t=170242)

Mr.Number 03-Dec-2012 11:30

Getting your bike to tracks....

Looking into the best way to transport a bike. Was initially going to part ex my car for a van but its beginning to look unnecessarily expensive, especially when you look at the things that go wrong with vans. I mostly commute to work by train so the van would just be sitting there really waiting for the weekends racing and track days. I do use my car now and again to go to work but only in **** weather. It's currently sorn but will be getting mot shortly.

I'm thinking of a box trailer, big enough for one bike and a few bits and pieces and part exing the car for an estate, like a Subaru or similar.

What do you guys find the best method of going about your racing, transporting etc. trying to keep the cost down obviously so can spend more on the bike. The idea of an estate suits, as I can drop the back seats and sleep in it if need be. Also it can carry more parts etc.

I'm quite a geek when it comes to reviews, il read them forever if it means getting the right vehicle. Diesel or petrol ? 2 litre or above ? 4 wheel drive ? Audi diesel or Subaru etc ? Manual or auto ?

Please post up with your views so I can consider from people who are actually doing it at the moment or have done. Bare in mind I'm pretty much decided on a box trailer estate combo as its looking like the cheapest way to do it.

Regards

Kev

Spjallen 03-Dec-2012 11:33

Van is the best way fwd. It provides you with cheap accommodation too.

Cranker V2 03-Dec-2012 12:32

Van. Towing a trailer is a pain. Vans can be gotten for 2k and be reliable. Skids may even have his charabang still for sale. If you do go the car and trailer route get a decent tent and an decent awning to keep the bike in (sometimes garages not available/fully booked). Put the tent up and down can be apain, but beats sleaping in the car.

bradders 03-Dec-2012 12:38

big box trailer a good second option to a van, as you can sleep in it as well. Worked ok for me for 2 years. From experince my 250 goes 44mpg to 28mpg towing at 70 motorways etc, whereas a friends 4x4 doenst really lost too much at all. Think its the drag affect rather than the weight as a taller car already makes a big hole in the air

Just insulate it well...coz it gets cooold!

badgerpilot 03-Dec-2012 12:54

Van with a part (so far) camper mod for me (also got a trailer but I fell lucky on that bit), gives you transport and a bed without much setting up hassle.
Very useful for late arrivals at tracks, building tents in the dark is a pain.
If you can change the V5 to camper you'll get cheaper insurance and MOTs too.
Box trailer on the back of a camper seems perfect, arrive at track, pull on handbrake, job done.

dunlop0_1 03-Dec-2012 13:41

Paul Payne for a couple of years has used only his people carrier to transport the bike and to sleep in (yes the bike fits inside)

Ron Jolly used his car and a trailer plus a tent.

I used to hire vans but it got expesive and inconvenient so I decided an old transit would do which like Badger has done was part modded with fold down beds.

Still have the old transit (£900) and an old caravan £500) and its the height of luxury. :lol:

The pair will probably sell for not much less than what I paid for them when the time comes. :)

banger san 03-Dec-2012 14:02

Medium sized box trailer that bike and most of my gear fits in, still get 40 mpg towing at reasonable speed behind my estate then pick up B&B or Travel lodge. Much warmer than kipping in tent, trailer, car or van and the only way I can get 'er in doors to come along.

coppersaucepipe 03-Dec-2012 14:40

Northgate will do a newish hire transit for £30 a day or £85 a weekend (last thing Thursday to first thing Monday), and every 5th hire, you get a day free. Just make sure you book in advance because if they've run out of vans you end up wishing you didn't rent from else where.
Until this weekend, I was seriously considering just renting, I'm now looking for a towbar as a short term fix.

ells 03-Dec-2012 15:06

I used a car and a basic bike trailer. That was ok at the beginning, except for when you forget about the trailer :o . Also when coming back at night you will spend a lot of time looking backwards to make sure the trailer is still there.

Hiring vans - across the year you will need to hire one not just for the races but track days, taking the bike to the mechanic\whatever.

Purchasing a van, hopefully you should get a fair amount back if you are carefull. Fuel consumption is not great. If you are going to use it for sleeping in as well as transporting the bike then something with a little height\length will be more comfortable.

Mark

skidlids 03-Dec-2012 15:54

I started with a open trailer towed behind the Saab I had at the time, after picking up 3 points for a MW10 after using the Outside lane of a motorway to overtake a centre lane cruiser I decided to buy a cheap van and haven't looked back as I have just bought my 6th Van.

But you do need to work out how many times a year your going to use it to justify the cost of road tax, Insurance and MOT against hiring one