Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Sport Classic tyre choice (/showthread.php?t=85075)

Steve E 04-Nov-2011 17:19

Sport Classic tyre choice

I have a 2006 Sport 1000 which has the standard Pirelli Phantoms on it at the moment. I've been told that the bike will feel much better with some decent sport bike tyres such as Pilot 2CT's or Diablos.

My only concern is that the spoked wheels need tubes fitted. Anyone have knowledge on this being safe when using tubeless tyres like the 2CT?

skidlids 04-Nov-2011 19:08

Sorry no knowledge but I do know that when the Sports Classic Cup race series was proposed a few years ago Dunlop were going to provide tyre support and judging by the Dunlop D209 Quallifiers we use in the Desmo Due series a set of Dunlop Quallifiers or SportSmarts wouldn't be a bad option

Steve E 04-Nov-2011 19:18

Thanks skidlids, I'll go an have a look at the Dunlop website. I've read that the new SportSmart 2's are very good. I checked out the Michelin website and they say 2CT shouldn't be used with tubes but Metzeler website says M5 interacts can be used on my bike - so I assume tubes must be OK with them.

skidlids 04-Nov-2011 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve E
Metzeler website says M5 interacts can be used on my bike -

That would be my other choice

skidlids 04-Nov-2011 19:24

1 Attachment(s)
Bit hard to read but it does say Dunlop
The AP calipers that were made for the bike would be worth fitting to many a Sportsclassic where the owner wants to improve on what comes as standard

Chaz 04-Nov-2011 19:45

Have a word with Rich at Louigi Moto he's fitted sport classic wheels in his Monster & I'm pretty sure he's fitted tubless tyres with tubes.

Steve E 04-Nov-2011 23:59

Thanks Chaz and skidlids, Checked out the Dunlop website and SportsMax SportsSmarts are suitable for the Sport Classic which must mean fine with tubes. I did a bit searching around on the web and it seems that tubeless tyres with ribs inside are a no no for tubes. The Metz and Dunlop's look like really decent tyres so I'll go for either one I reckon.

Due Torri Moto 10-Nov-2011 09:59

tubeless tyres on sport classics

Another thread on sport classics and tubed/tubeless tyres.
To fit tubeless tyre to these bikes you will need to change to tubeless spoked wheels such as those made by Alpina or Kineo.
These make more sense if you're planning to keep your bike for a long time as replacement wheels are expensive - but then so are genuine Ducati sport classic wheels- so replacing damaged std wheels with e.g. Alpinas makes sense and you will have a wider tyre choice.

I just thought that I would add the above to the discussion.

adam11 24-Mar-2014 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve E
Thanks skidlids, I'll go an have a look at the Dunlop website. I've read that the new SportSmart 2's are very good. I checked out the Michelin website and they say 2CT shouldn't be used with tubes but Metzeler website says M5 interacts can be used on my bike - so I assume tubes must be OK with them.

I used 2CT's on my Sport Classic spoked wheels with tubes, without a problem. Took the pressures down to 30 psi for track sessions as well.