Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Help needed in 2nd hand purchase 999 R (/showthread.php?t=25894)

Haga-prisas 13-Jan-2006 17:07

Help needed in 2nd hand purchase 999 R

in my search for a 2005 999R I found the following bike in Germany:

a ducati dealer is selling a 2005 R with 2.000 miles only for a guy that has been racing. Price is reasonable.
Problems: apparently, the bike had an engine failure and the ducati dealer has changed the pistons, cilinders and the cramshaft under warranty.
Is this a normal failure with such a low mileage?
What kind of driving can produce that?.
What kind of questions or things should I check in the bike to have peace of mind in the future?

The dealer says the engine now is even better than brand new from factory :o

He says fitting a 57mm termi system will burn the lower fairing and is very loud and tricky to fit...
Thanks for the help

Real McCoy 13-Jan-2006 17:12

Id leave it and get one thats been looked after, theres plenty around :)

dickieducati 13-Jan-2006 17:18

Quote:

Originally posted by Haga-prisas

He says fitting a 57mm termi system will burn the lower fairing and is very loud and tricky to fit...
Thanks for the help

mine has a 54 fitted and it burnt through 2 sets of fairings.
both a 54 and 57 are fine if fitted correctly. mine wasnt initially but it is fine now it has been doe by a dealer who knows what they are doing.

i would leave the bike unless it comes with a ducati warranty for the new engine. even then i would look around first .

ace 13-Jan-2006 22:00

sorry i might be a bit thick but !!! "sellin a bike for a bloke thats been racin " says it all to me :D

my answers to your questions (my opinion only )

is it normal for mileage ? yes if racing

what type of riding can produce this ? read above

but then again whats a reasonable price ? i mean i would give him 5k for it :D
i think thats reasonable :D:D:D

Carbon749 13-Jan-2006 22:09

Not wanting to contradict anyone, but, if you can get some sort of warranty and pay about half market price .... buy it.

berto 13-Jan-2006 23:31

I agree with carbon...and as its a 2005 model it will still be under warranty and you will be able to purchase a further years warranty from any official Ducati dealer taking it to 3yrs.....Or there is a feckin top S4 for sale in market place!!!!!:cool:

ace 14-Jan-2006 00:56

hey boyz just my opinion :D all i,m thinkin is if the guy race,s wot engine are you really gettin :o sorry for being a downer , the deal might be mint !!!

marko 14-Jan-2006 09:17

Italia moto in lincoln had a new 04 model for £14500 ish why buy second hand.
;)

Carbon749 14-Jan-2006 10:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbon749
and pay about half market price .... buy it.

This is why I said buy it, I agree it's a gamble, but, if it's very cheap it would be a gamble I would take.

ace 14-Jan-2006 10:59

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbon749
Not wanting to contradict anyone, but, if you can get some sort of warranty and pay about half market price .... buy it.

at half market price i,d be right there with you :D as you say carbon , at good money it is a gamble worth takin :cool:
how much is it goin for haga :puzzled: