Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Fuel Light Problem 996 (/showthread.php?t=175280)

r15suk 14-Jan-2013 13:57

Fuel Light Problem 996

Last year my fuel light failed to come on and i ran out of fuel. Now i'm just about to try to debug the problem.

I did a search on the forum and found the following line in a Shazaam post;

"If the light fails to come on when you first turn the ignition key, the bulb itself is burned out."

However, my bulb is fine as i tried it in another position. Is the above true for all 996's?

If it is true could it still be a sender fault?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

antonye 14-Jan-2013 15:31

Don't think the fuel light comes on during power-up on my MY2000 748, from what I remember!

I think it's more likely to be a sender fault as they are known to die.

Have you drained the tank and removed the pump assembly to test everything?

r15suk 14-Jan-2013 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonye
Don't think the fuel light comes on during power-up on my MY2000 748, from what I remember!

I think it's more likely to be a sender fault as they are known to die.

Have you drained the tank and removed the pump assembly to test everything?

Not yet, but that will be my next step. If the senders are a know problem, have they improved over the years and can they be retrofitted?

Also could someone with a 996 test to see if the fuel light comes on when you first turn on the ignition please?

cheers
Simon

numbskull 14-Jan-2013 22:35

The fuel light should only come on if you need fuel I thought.

Nothing to do with initial ignition switch on.

skidlids 14-Jan-2013 23:05

Its a very simple circuit. 12 volts is sent into the fuel sender unit from one of the fused circuits, then when the float inside the tank drops low enough it makes (joins) two contacts and feeds the 12v back out of the sender and up to the lamp as the other side of lamp is earthed it will then light, if the fuel level is high enough the you have a open circuit and no light.

So first at the pump/tank end check you have the 12 volt going into the sender.

Easiest way to check all the connectors is just put 12v onto the wire returning from the sender, if your fuel light doesn't light then when you have a known working lamp then you have a dodgy connection or a broken wire.

if it does light then you need to check that 12v is coming back out from the sender when the fuel level is low,

if the lamp didn't light then the next place to check it the large round connector just above the battery, if it gets through that connector then the next connector is inside the headlight before it finally gets to the lamp holder.

r15suk 15-Jan-2013 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
Its a very simple circuit. 12 volts is sent into the fuel sender unit from one of the fused circuits, then when the float inside the tank drops low enough it makes (joins) two contacts and feeds the 12v back out of the sender and up to the lamp as the other side of lamp is earthed it will then light, if the fuel level is high enough the you have a open circuit and no light.

So first at the pump/tank end check you have the 12 volt going into the sender.

Easiest way to check all the connectors is just put 12v onto the wire returning from the sender, if your fuel light doesn't light then when you have a known working lamp then you have a dodgy connection or a broken wire.

if it does light then you need to check that 12v is coming back out from the sender when the fuel level is low,

if the lamp didn't light then the next place to check it the large round connector just above the battery, if it gets through that connector then the next connector is inside the headlight before it finally gets to the lamp holder.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll be trying that soon.

Cheers
Simon