Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   mixing tyres - bridgestone (/showthread.php?t=31787)

bradders 07-Jun-2006 22:12

mixing tyres - bridgestone

I've finished off my 012ss rear and theres loads of miles in the front...can I/should I mix the front with a 014 rear? Or is ot dodgy to mix even within the brand? Are they still making 12ss?

cheers

Fordie 07-Jun-2006 22:17

Bradders , Im still running a Avon Viper Sports on the front and a Diablo on the rear, you'll soon know if it don't work. Take it steady . 4D

GsxrAge 07-Jun-2006 22:20

I have had Metzeler front and Bridgestone on the rear with problems !!!

My thoughts are as long as ya have a good front tyre the rear will folow !

Jools 07-Jun-2006 22:46

Personally, if I was going to mix tyres, I would always want the best and/or stickiest tyre on the front. Back end slides can be saved, if the front washes you're going down.

I haven't used Bridgestones for years so I'm not up to date with their latest, but I used an 010 front 020 rear for a while without any hassle

bradders 07-Jun-2006 23:52

thanks

I have run 010 fr/020 rr before but only for about 700 miles

anyone know how 014 compare to 012ss??

Loz 08-Jun-2006 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
thanks

I have run 010 fr/020 rr before but only for about 700 miles

anyone know how 014 compare to 012ss??

Paul
From memory, the 014 is the new version of the 010, and is a road going tyre. The 012SS is a fast road/track tyre.

I know psychlist swears by the 010 front, 020 rear combination, so I think an 012SS front and a 014 rear would be a similar combination in terms of the relative "stickiness" of front and rear. In other words, it would work - BUT - assuming that there is no real difference in profile between the 012SS and the 014.

It would probably work but you would need to take it easy at first to watch for any incompatibility issues.

andyb 09-Jun-2006 10:28

How much is a new tyre..................how much is your bike worth.....not least yours or others lives?

Im not a fan of mixing makes........and i not happy with mixing types within a make either.

if the new rear is a later/better tyre then the new front will be as well? go on splash out.....buy a pack of 3, thatll save a bit?

GetawayRider 22-Jun-2006 16:45

i have a new 014 on the rear. really impressed so far.
I had a set of dunlops on before, still running the front one

galaxy 27-Jun-2006 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb
How much is a new tyre..................how much is your bike worth.....not least yours or others lives?

Im not a fan of mixing makes........and i not happy with mixing types within a make either.

+1 on that.

As for the BT-014's, my wife has them on her SS and really likes them. 2,000 miles or so and three good track days. I've rode her bike on the street a bit and they are a very neutral tire, which I see as a good thing. They don't drop in too fast and hold a good line. Not hard to get the bike to change lines at any lean angle. Grip has also never been a concern even on the track. If I get this right, the 12 is a little more sticky than the 14 and more of a weekend warrior track going tire than the 14. Also less mileage. BUT, Bridgestone claims the 14 as a good dual compound tire with good mileage in the center and great traction on the sides. I believe this from what I've seen of her tires. The 14 is advertised as an equivalent counterpart to the Pilot Power. Great looking tire too!!! Also, if you are a bridgestone fan..... there is a BT-015 to replace the 14's sometime down the road (that tire is alread out as original equipment on the new CBR 1000RR here in the states) and they are coming out with a BT-002 street version of the D.O.T. track tire BT-002. I'm seriously thinking about going with the BT-002 for my next track day, or the Pilot Race...undecided just yet.

psychlist 27-Jun-2006 22:54

012SS is softer/stickier compared to the 014, which is only one step down from it anyway.
Go for it Paul, no guarantees but I dont think you'll go far wrong.
Give Tyreman a call if you're uncertain
:ninja: