Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Idle Chat (/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Rage Against the Machine vs X-Factor (/showthread.php?t=81261)

antonye 14-Dec-2009 22:49

Rage Against the Machine vs X-Factor

As you might know, there's currently an "internet campaign" to purchase Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name" to stop Simon Cowell's X-Factor yet again being the xmas number one.

Have you bought it? Are you likely to? Any opinions?

Me? I bought it; cost me 99p from iTunes. Why? I'm getting fed up with reality tv ruling the airwaves and X-Factor being guaranteed a No1 record each year. The thing that pi$$ed me off was Simon Cowell commenting that this campaign would "spoil the party" for his own act - as if they must be guaranteed the number one spot each year!

More info:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...gainst-machine

John W 14-Dec-2009 23:21

I just can't be bothered either way.
Yep we watched some of the X factor shows, but didn't vote for any of them.

I couldn't really care less who is No1. We'll get to hear the tunes over & over regardless, because thats what the radio stations get told to play.
Does it really matter if cowell gets No1 again ?

Surely buying the Rage single just lines someone elses pocket for the sake of it ?

So to answer your question Ant, I'm not likely to buy any of them ;)
Maybe I'm just prematurely turning into a grumpy old man though :D

antonye 15-Dec-2009 01:06

That's fine, I'm just interested in other people's views on the matter.

One good thing that came out of this is that the original Facebook organisers are asking people to donate the same (or more) money to Shelter. It was over £26,000 when I looked earlier today.

TP 15-Dec-2009 02:11

I'm in, HUGE RATM fan from back in the day.

I remember my first year in the Army when I was 16 thrashing around my room in the barracks and the common room with 'Killing in the name of' pounding out of my stereo while I thrashed my tennis racquet air guitar stylie!

I've just let my beard grow back over the handlebar mo I grew for Movember too ...

swannymere 15-Dec-2009 13:19

And RATM are on Sony which is the same group as Cowell's BMG!

antonye 15-Dec-2009 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by swannymere
And RATM are on Sony which is the same group as Cowell's BMG!

That is of course correct, but it's not about denying Sony/Cowell the money (like he needs more anyway!) but about making a stand against the way X-Factor has dominated the xmas chart each year, and Cowell assumes it is his right to be number one each time off the back of some karaoke tv show.

phillc 15-Dec-2009 16:13

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this song - sound, lyrics and message. Whatever happened to all my youthful rage and venom? Broken by the man.

Anyway, even though I have the full RATM collection on CD, this was worth the £0.99, just to listen to the song ad nauseam at work today.

Miss Riot 15-Dec-2009 17:00

**** you, I won't do what you tell me. ;-)

I have it all on CD already!

mjbayley 15-Dec-2009 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillc
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this song - sound, lyrics and message. Whatever happened to all my youthful rage and venom? Broken by the man.

Anyway, even though I have the full RATM collection on CD, this was worth the £0.99, just to listen to the song ad nauseam at work today.

Ad Nauseam - Derek and Clive..... now there's an album !!! he he he!!!!

antonye 15-Dec-2009 19:21

"Rock anthem outselling X Factor winner Joe McElderry"

"Rock band Rage Against The Machine is ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry in the race for the Christmas number one, early sales figures suggest."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm