Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Fair price for a 888 SP4? (/showthread.php?t=4628)

yellow916 05-Dec-2003 20:56

Fair price for a 888 SP4?

What do people think would be a good price for an 888 SP4?

Has anyone seen/does anyone know anything about the one for sale at Forza Italia (aka Baines Racing)?

Thanks

A

Felix 05-Dec-2003 21:33

I think a "good" price, meaning a good deal, for a bike in good nik is no more than £6000.

Eddieb 08-Dec-2003 05:02

Theres one for sale in a bike shop over here, 1 of only 2 or 3 in the country. I think it's being sold on behalf of owner rather than being shop stock.

It's listed as P.O.A but given how other models have sold I would think it would go for somewhere in the $25,000-$30,000NZ price range, about 8,000-10,000 sterling. Purely because of it's rarity here.

There is a Strada for sale privately as well which has $19,000NZ as the asking price, about 6500 sterling. I think it's a bit overpriced as they normally command about $15,000NZ, 5000 sterling for a good one.

851's fetch 3500 - 4250 sterling. There is quite a few more of them around.

My bike is the only bike of all these models I ever see on the road though, all the others must just sit in the garage.

simon748 10-Dec-2003 22:04

sp4 price

I paid about 7000 for mine about 2 years ago. I've only seen a couple for sale since so difficult bike to value.Whats it worth to you? I don't intend to sell so am not worried how much it may be valued at.
Buy it!

pguenet 12-Dec-2003 18:17

I have been following those prices for quite a while since I am fascinated by that bike and as soon as I can I would buy one of them.

You would find an SP3 around £6000 and an SP4 around £6500 / £7000. More if the bike as exceptionally low mileage.

Somehow the experts tend to say that the SP3 is the one to go for. Engines are very similar but SP3 had the older frame and the aluminium tank. SP4 lost those. SP5 even lost the front ohlins fork.

KeefyB 12-Dec-2003 18:47

Quote:

Originally posted by pguenet

Somehow the experts tend to say that the SP3 is the one to go for. Engines are very similar but SP3 had the older frame and the aluminium tank. SP4 lost those. SP5 even lost the front ohlins fork.

Yeah but the SP5 was the best looking one IMHO.
The Ohlins forks on the 888 SP's were race forks converted for the road.It was a common problem for the fork seals to blow.Mebbe thats why they changed to Showa on the 5?

pguenet 13-Dec-2003 10:20

Somehow the SP5 looks quite different because they changed the seat unit.... but that is a matter of taste. SP5 doesn't do it for me as is looks like a road bike.
The others have the meaner look of race machines.

As for the ohlins, I think they changed for cost reasons. Ducati is still using those although seals still blow for no reason (one seal gone at 2500miles on my 996SPS!).

Otto Otto Otto 18-Feb-2004 12:34

I have a contemporaneous magazine report which indicates that Ohlins were taking legal action against their fork seal supplier due to the well documented reliability problems.
I suspect the change to Showa was as a result of this - subsequent reversion to Ohlins may be as a result of improvement to seals in later years.
I guess the the beauty of the 851/888 SP models is that they are all quite different in spec and appearance, so ther should be one to suit most tastes. I cant help but think that you dont get that with the later bikes which (certainly due to the beautiful styling) did not change in appearance for many years.
I have the SP5 and I bought it because it was the only one I wanted .......... but it seems all these bikes have pros and cons:
SP3 - aluminium tank/ohlins
SP4 - ohlins
SP5 - showa/more power
It's as broad as it's long.
SPO is just a pretty bike without the grunt which is not in the spirit of things really ....... very pretty though!

Anyway that's the end of my rant - I hope I didnt offend anyone there!

Queen_gravelpants 18-Feb-2004 13:30

It's like Simon748 says what's it worth to you?

I paid over the odds for my 888 strada considering all the problems it had, which I wasn't aware of because of ignorance really. I've spent so much money on it that if I was to sell it on I would make a huge loss. I never intend to sell it because it is such a beautiful bike so I don't really care about how much money I spend as its worth every penny to me.

Question is if you buy one for say £6000 will you keep it or sell it on when you get bored with it and almost certainly make a loss?

Queen_gravelpants 18-Feb-2004 14:18

Nice SP4 website