Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   2004 999s clutch cylinder (/showthread.php?t=186975)

spurs 05-Mar-2013 20:26

2004 999s clutch cylinder

Hi All ,
As frequently stated the clutch is a bit on the heavy side particularly as its a hyd. unit .
Are there any alternatives to ease this problem ?
I have seen the oberon unit are there any other options ?

Ghost 05-Mar-2013 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs
Hi All ,
As frequently stated the clutch is a bit on the heavy side particularly as its a hyd. unit .
Are there any alternatives to ease this problem ?
I have seen the oberon unit are there any other options ?

Have a look here, http://www.motopike.com/

I use one of their slaves on my 620 DD bike.

spurs 06-Mar-2013 22:56

Thanks , i will get one shortly (as soon as the mrs has got over me getting the bike ) unless anyone has a better supplier .

skidlids 07-Mar-2013 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost
Have a look here, http://www.motopike.com/

I use one of their slaves on my 620 DD bike.

Seconded
I've had one from Adam on my 1100 Monster for a couple of years now and if it wasn't for how light it makes the clutch feel I wouldn't be able to run the short levers

Shazaam! 07-Mar-2013 02:44

The most common way to reduce the clutch lever pull force is to change the diameter of the slave cylinder. The force-reduction aftermarket slave cylinder replacements offer around a 20% reduction but at the penalty of needing a longer clutch lever pull to get full disengagement.

Another approach to reduce pull effort is to reduce the force pushing the plates together. One way is to change the stock springs to ones having a lower stiffness. Another way is to reduce the number of springs from six to four. This gives a one-third reduction in lever pull as well as a one-third reduction in friction force in the clutch. Depending on the particular bike’s torque output, you might get slippage, but reports from owners say this approach works fine.

At least for awhile ...

Keep in mind that the force between the plates is determined both by the number of springs and the spring preload. Since preload is determined by the stack height, as the clutch friction plates wear the overall stack height decreases and consequently the force between the plates decreases.

So, decreasing your clutch lever force by removing springs will work for a new clutch but as the plates wear you will experience slippage (and accelerated plate wear) and it's likely that you'll have to put them back in to get full mileage out of your clutch. The best way to test for clutch plate slippage is to apply full throttle power in top gear.

spurs 07-Mar-2013 10:03

Some aftermarket companies offer different diameter slave cylinders , what is the std one ?