Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   When is a tyre working????????? (/showthread.php?t=22531)

madmav 04-Oct-2005 22:16

When is a tyre working?????????

And when can you tell !

Well guys/gals i have a guy with me who is a tyre/race technician and works with some of the top racers. he just asked me to put up this question on the board to see what your view's were and your understanding of what your riding on So Bring it on Guys/gals:D

AK 04-Oct-2005 22:18

when it is going round

not flat at the bottom & round at the top

sorry, off for another glass of vino mav......:devil:

C:saint:

domski 04-Oct-2005 22:39

I can only go by the feel/feedback I get when I'm riding. I get this through the bars, seat and foot pegs. My brain attempts to process what is happening at both ends as well as control my bodily functions that are controlling the bike and while working out what the hell is happening all around me and where I'm going next - probably why I don't know the answer :lol:

I'll push it as hard as I feel confident that the tyres will still grip, but that is partly suspension as well as the tyre working. Also, I rarely push it over the limit as I think I am a reasonable judge on grip and I think my corner speed is OK.

I'd also have to look at the tyre after some laps, to see if I'm chewing it up or what's happening.

Whats the real answer? :D

TP 04-Oct-2005 23:15

When it has a job for more than 6.5 hours? :lol:

Tyre doesn't start working until it's reached it's optimum temperature - is this what you are looking for?

domski 04-Oct-2005 23:20

Quote:

Originally posted by TP
When it has a job for more than 6.5 hours? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Quote:

Tyre doesn't start working until it's reached it's optimum temperature - is this what you are looking for?

Hrmm, I wondered if it was a trick question too ;)

monstermob 998 04-Oct-2005 23:24

i'm often fascinated by the onboard camera shots of the front tyres when watching motoGP when the bike is leant over the tyre looks flat and well supple - i presume this is the higher forces of the bikes wieght pushing into the tyre when leant over - so there must be a higher degree of tyre in contact with the track than when the bike is upright and in a straight line-- dont know wether my tyres do that tho

GsxrAge 04-Oct-2005 23:25

Quote:

Originally posted by Dseered
Is this good or bad, I understand you can learn about your sussy settings from the state of your tyres ???

This is after road riding, not track ????

Looks like your suspension is set to hard Ian.

My thoughts are roughly the same as dom.

But I aint no racer and have only done a few track days, we as normal road riders never push the tyres anywhere near the limit.
But on the track I run the diablo corsa on the front and by just adding a bit of compresion damping on the front to alow for fork dive the front feels sorted.

I had a standard diablo on the rear and I had to soften up the rear compression to get the bike to squat a bit more as the power was going on and just dropping the rear pressure to 30 psi seemed to work.

So I think my tyres are working fine but I'm sure an expert will correct me soon.

domski 04-Oct-2005 23:28

Quote:

Originally posted by AGE996
My thoughts are roughly the same as dom.

But I aint no racer

Same here :lol:

Quote:

But on the track I run the diablo corsa on the front

Same here :lol::lol:

Quote:

I had a standard diablo on the rear

Same here!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

GsxrAge 04-Oct-2005 23:32

hehe

I will be fitting super corsas next time as the rear was moving around and I have been told it was leaving dark lines as the power went on, hense why pressures were dropped and suspension softened up.

Apart from fitting crossplys would we realy notice if we were getting the most from are tyres.

GsxrAge 04-Oct-2005 23:33

Quote:

Sussy to hard, Dibble and JPM reconed it was to soft when they sat on it at Oulton, I'm confused about the whole affair !

But have they eaten more pies than you Ian :lol::lol::lol:

domski 04-Oct-2005 23:34

I think your tyre looks OK Ian.

You're not carrying enough corner speed though and gassing it too hard to the exit to make up for it - exactly what I was doing on the 748 at Pembrey.

Otherwise it looks fine.

madmav 05-Oct-2005 00:33

Well it's kinda interesting how few people have answered this post!

usually there are loads of peeps offering up there 2 Bob's worth.

The facts are!

A tyre is working when it's wearing out! so when peeps rave on about getting 3000 miles out of a back tyre and stating how good they are, they are really saying that they dont really know if it's working or not!

All tyres have a optimum range/life

once the tyres have been overheated they are technicaly F**ked as it has changed the structure in the wea've !

road tyres are made in such a way that the testing done B4 they are released for public use means that most road riders will never ever get the tyres into the sweetspot range!
let alone overheat them!!!
so swopping between manufactures is usually a rider preferd decision!
as most peeps will never get on the road to the point of total loss of adhesion
ie when you here someone say my tyre let go in a corner! what they really mean is they f**ked up Entrance or apex or exit or their suspension was so badly set up the loss of traction was due to loss of bike traction!(rider input)

My mate has been out to set up suspension on many a track day and found on standard road bikes with standard tyre's the best way was to set the bike up, to the manufactures settings and then ajust tyre pressure's by doing two laps and then loosing them down when hot to the same standard tyre pressures Ie pressures rise between 4-8 psi when hot(remember) if you try this always put pressures back up when cold !!

anyway top and bottom of it is ! unless your racing on a well sorted track bike with wellsorted suspension and proper track tyres !
then stop kidding yourself and go and do some riding skill courses!

as you will probably never ever use the tyres (standard) to the best of your ability let alone the tyres!!

Oh and by the way my mate works for Dunlop and has worked there for years and has been the tyre fitter techy bloke for corsa, bayliss, edwards, etc etc !

not what you know but who;)

Glyn 05-Oct-2005 00:41

i think the whole sticky tyre thing is hype
get your self a set of macadams
unless your bsb

HW 05-Oct-2005 08:51

Didn't see this post until late, but here's what I (think) I know .... bits and bobs in no particular order:

Sticky tyres don't "stick", they are softer so the contact surface deforms better to the contours/inperfections of the road surface and so the contact area is greater (or better).

Tyres deform better at their optimum temperature, which you are unlikely to acheive on the road (unless you are breaking the law!). Hey .. could be an argument for allowing bikes to break speed limits, it'll make the tyres work better and therefore be safer? OK, maybe not a good argument.

As the wheel rotates, the tyre deforms and so the contact patch must slide, which creates friction and therefore heat.

Even on a track it is entirely possible to heat up one side of a tyre and not the other. Common problem that is highlighted in trackday briefings - "not many left handers on the circuit so the left side of your tyre will not get so hot". Something that I forget all about on the road, but then the tyre is not getting very hot on the road (usually).

Lowering the tyre pressure causes the tyre to deform better, so creating more friction and greater heat. Ian's tyre picture looks like it's getting sticky like chewing gum, which is an indication that it is starting to overheat. I suspect that if that is done on the road then the tyre pressure may have been low.

Tyres are an important part of the suspension system. Therefore it is clear that the tyre pressure has an effect on how the bike holds over surface inperfections. If the suspension is too hard then all the works is done by the tyre and you will wear the tyre out MUCH quicker.

Leave your tyre pressure too low when the road is wet and you might be riding on a "slick". As the pressure is lowered the tread pattern closes up until the tyre is a slick. (another trackday briefing warning - cheers WJB).

andyb 05-Oct-2005 19:22

recon my tyres are working well hard with my delicate 16 stonnes on them!:lol::lol::lol:

madmav 05-Oct-2005 23:49

Quote:

Originally posted by andyb
recon my tyres are working well hard with my delicate 16 stonnes on them!:lol::lol::lol:
FFB:lol::D:P:cool::smug::roll::sing:

Dibble 05-Oct-2005 23:51

what rubbish, the simple answer is ...

"the tyre is working whenever the wheels are going round"

easy ...

x

ericthered40 06-Oct-2005 00:47

Clearways today (spin um up lads you know who you are) :lol::lol:

andyb 12-Oct-2005 13:18

It depends on how the bike is set up. The tyre can be working too hard, over heat and tear, or wear out too quick as it will be buggered.

749er 10-Nov-2005 23:05

Quote:

Don't know much about tyres, however......... these had done a couple of races before I got 'em (free) then did various little trips ('bout 600 miles) then did Scotland touring (about 800 miles where pic is taken) Gizmo will help out as I don't remember where it was, but is was a good road, they then did a DSC TD at Cadwell and are not yet square !!

Yes I know there are CStrips, panniers etc, sorry !!!!

Rennsport RS1 F and RS2 R. Fecking ace if you ask me !!

Hi
How did you get the panniers on and negotiate the straps around the exhaust?

cheers
DM

jaamba 27-Nov-2005 22:25

When it is hot (not Warm), with the presure at its correct temperature (at running Temp) and it is not throwing me off :lol:

Nick 916 28-Nov-2005 22:17

this sportsbike stuff all new to me, mine dont feel good at all!!! not used to all the weight being up front, (supermoto background) so until I've done a few miles I've no trust in them what so ever....!!!
I'll get used to it..(or go back to supermoto!!!)

berto 28-Nov-2005 22:35

;) my delicate 16 stonnes on them! Have you had your jaw wired then????

pedro 29-Nov-2005 18:46

so where does the temperature part come into play mav? lets sat we have mich pilot race tyre- it works after say 2-3 laps,so is it not working for 2-3 laps?

andyb 29-Nov-2005 22:12

Quote:

Originally posted by berto
;) my delicate 16 stonnes on them! Have you had your jaw wired then????

Had to work the tyres well to get around you, you roundabout!:D