Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Stolen Bikes (/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Stolen Bikes, will people ever learn? (/showthread.php?t=24809)

RCA 07-Dec-2005 11:49

Stolen Bikes, will people ever learn?

Owning a motorbike in England.

Lets face it, England is a dump. The criminal justice supports the criminal. How can the police with straight faces, urge the public to rely on the law, when we all accept the law is an ass. The police are sh*t scared of the criminals and are totally powerless. We are surrounded by drugs addicts, organised bike thieves, and imports of a mixed variety with no identity, you cannot trust any ****er. The fact is you can NEVER leave your bike out of site. If you have to do this, even if it is locked, you may as well leave the keys in it and the engine running, leave your helmet for them as well.

I cannot sympathise with anyone thus far who has had their bike stolen. I cannot believe people are stupid enough to take a bike to a track (especially a ‘flash’ Ducati), leaving it unattended for several hours, relying on a bunch of reprobate security staff? WTF???!! and as for parking a Ducati outside, unattended, Iam amazed at peoples niavety.

And it’s no good posting empty threats toward the criminals unless you are prepared to follow them through, and look what happend to Tony Martin.... Most bike thieves are gangs, who don’t have the mentally that you or I have. My dad had a works van stolen last year, fully loaded, he made a few enquires, was given a name, but was advised to leave well alone....

My advice, don’t give the opportunist the opportunity in the first place.

1. Keep the bike in the House. If this is not psychical possible, then move house, (I did). If you partner ‘does not want a bike in the house’, tell them to move out (I did).
2. Alarm the House.
3. Chain the bike to something fixed, like a radiator and remove the wheel nuts.
4. Immobilise & Alarm the bike.
5. Buy a large dog and keep it hungry, (not starving!).

If you cannot do any of the above, move to Spain or Italy (No ice, cheper beer, slimmer girls).

RA

antonye 07-Dec-2005 11:52

I get the feeling you have some issues you'd like to discuss...

loverobot 07-Dec-2005 13:09

so are you saying your dad should have parked his van in the house, booted out your mum and chained it to a radiator?:smug:

loverobot 07-Dec-2005 13:10

whilst i agree that people should be careful i think your post ignores the fact that it takes seconds not hours to nick a bike

yeti 07-Dec-2005 13:16

Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Iam amazed at peoples niavety.

Blimey, who rattled his cage????? :sing:

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:05

Quote:

Originally posted by loverobot
so are you saying your dad should have parked his van in the house, booted out your mum and chained it to a radiator?:smug:

No, you have taken/what I meant out of context. You know what I mean.

guest1 07-Dec-2005 14:10

Quote:

..england is a dump...
England is what you make it.
You have a choice in this Democratic land.

Sell the bike, eat the dog, move to spain?

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:11

Quote:

whilst i agree that people should be careful i think your post ignores the fact that it takes seconds not hours to nick a bike

Which is my point, NEVER leave the bike unattended, even for 5 seconds. If the circumstances at the time make this difficult to do, don't be suprised when it's vanished.

In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl'.

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:18

Quote:

Originally posted by yeti
Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Iam amazed at peoples niavety.

Blimey, who rattled his cage????? :sing:

The section of the biking community who cause MY premiums to increase each year. It's simple, less claims, cheaper premiums. Met a guy on a ride last week. Had his SP1 nicked, along with his £450 helment. Rode to Asda, people everywhere, left the bike right outside the doors. Came back, bike gone, taxi home. His attitude, well I'll get paid out.......:mad::mad::mad::mad:

guest1 07-Dec-2005 14:19

Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Quote:

Which is my point, NEVER leave the bike unattended, even for 5 seconds. If the circumstances at the time make this difficult to do, don't be suprised when it's vanished.

1 - how do you ever get any work done if you don't leave your bike unattended, even for 5 seconds.

2 - "In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl2" - for those of us old enough to remember, that was originally by One hundred ton and a feather (also known as Jonathan King).

multi600 07-Dec-2005 14:20

My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place (bike park). The only bike I have ever had nicked (DT 175) was one Christmas morning I run out of petrol. I chained the bike to a lamp post and a concrete bench. 25mins later it had gone, I just rely on the insurance now that's what it's there for.

Herb 07-Dec-2005 14:24

Quote:

Originally posted by multi600
My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place

Just curious, where do you live? Full address and postcode, give me a shout next time you are on Holiday!;)

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:30

Quote:

My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place (bike park). The only bike I have ever had nicked (DT 175) was one Christmas morning I run out of petrol. I chained the bike to a lamp post and a concrete bench. 25mins later it had gone, I just rely on the insurance now that's what it's there for.

This has GOT to be a wind up?

multi600 07-Dec-2005 14:37

Life is too short to waste locking and unlocking bikes they are for riding. In total 18 bikes in two garages both in same block. Both with same level of security, chill out man and no this is not a wind up. Just how things are.

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:41

Quote:

Originally posted by guest1
Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Quote:

1 - how do you ever get any work done if you don't leave your bike unattended, even for 5 seconds.

2 - "In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl2" - for those of us old enough to remember, that was originally by One hundred ton and a feather (also known as Jonathan King).

1.To summarise my point. If you leave a bike, outside, unattended, expect it to get stolen.

2. You old git! Very good! :P

RCA 07-Dec-2005 14:45

Quote:

Life is too short to waste locking and unlocking bikes they are for riding. In total 18 bikes in two garages both in same block. Both with same level of security, chill out man and no this is not a wind up. Just how things are.

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:: flame::flame:

guest1 07-Dec-2005 14:53

Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Quote:

Originally posted by guest1
Quote:

Originally posted by RCA
Quote:

1.To summarise my point. If you leave a bike, outside, unattended, expect it to get stolen.

2. You old git! Very good! :P

Wow, now I'm really paranoid.

does it also follow then that:
you leave a doughnut outside, expect it to get eaten.
you leave a baby in a room, expect it not to be in the same place when you get back
you leave your AA card at home, expect to break down
if you go to a DSC meet, expect to make friends (aw, bless) and get the rip taken out of you

Murphy's law et al.
If you go through life worrying about every little thing you'll end up with hunched shoulders before your out of nappies.

Scotty Monster 07-Dec-2005 16:12

doesn't too much security bring more attention to what your protecting ?

loverobot 07-Dec-2005 16:22

people get carjacked but it doesnt stop me driving with the roof off

if you cannot leave your bike for a while locked up up imho you are paranoid

my bikes are alarmed and immobilised

anchored in the garage and locked up

but i refuse to subscribe to the idea that if you go out and leave your bike unattended for a bit you are 'asking for it' - thats utter bollox

if you cannot do this you cannot enjoy ownership

i like to go out for a long blast to end up somewhere and then visit that somewhere before having a blast back so presumeably if my bike gets nicked i deserve it too

complete nonsense

theres taking care of your bike and thers taking it to bed.....................

ali 07-Dec-2005 16:27

Quote:

I'm exactly the same. Bikes get left, often with the keys in, in a garage with a tiny padlock on the outside. I never lock them when parked elsewhere, just take the keys out. I'd never get back what they're worth by insurance, but I'm fcucked if I 'm going to let a bunch of thieving gypsy scum give me sleepless nights worrying if they're carrying liquid nitrogen or an angle grinder. If they get nicked then so be it. Still got a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a top notch missus. :D

Ali

misterpink 07-Dec-2005 18:50

i'm confused - am i an old git or paranoid or ......???? had 2 bikes nicked, hate it happening and took security precautions before, bike is now indoors/alarmed/immob and chained - but i have gotta ride it to enjoy it - otherwise whats the point?and what do you do when you get there?? can't put it inside etc etc etc.
Insurance - this is the old git bit - i always thought insurance was only and i mean only if something bad happens - i hate claiming on it, losing your pride and joy is no fun. To those with minimal security - good luck - i wish i could but can't and am jealous - to those that think that they just need to claim if it goes - that's the sort of "i'm OK jack" attitude that makes people like RCA claim that england is a dump. So why do bikes get nicked? if everybody bought everything from an authorised dealer not e-bay etc etc maybe that would dry up the outlets - utopian vision i know? RCA's view of the police - i agree but sympathise as well - give them the resources and tools and then if they didn't do the job - moan big time.

Mr C 07-Dec-2005 19:11

Mine lives in the house and its chained to the dog....

Opps dont have a dog, **** who's dog is it then!

philthy 07-Dec-2005 19:15

Good grief!

I thought I was right wing, but you can flap yours as well !

I'm old enough to remember when all public phone boxes had a telephone directory inside them....which didn't get nicked. How times have changed.

There is one simple solution - but in several parts

1. Double the Police Force, but set realistic targets and make officers accountable.

2.When you catch a thief make his life a misery...literally. Build more prisons and lock the scum away.....BUT..try everything possible to rehabilitate them while they are inside.

3.Give our youngsters the opportunity to do worthwhile things that don't cost the earth and they will be too busy to hang around on street corners looking for mischief. Then they might end up as usefull members of society and not thieves.

Then you might be able to leave your bike outside with the keys in and the helmet sat on the seat.

I had a dream:saint:

RCA 07-Dec-2005 20:07

To clarify, my post was aimed at those people who try and pitch the blame for their loss on something or someone else, other than their own stupidity.

And the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums. Do I really have to spell this out? Is this a Kawasaki forum in disguise?

MR T (God this makes me so maaaaaaaaaad)

moto748 07-Dec-2005 21:21

RCA has a fair point, if intemperately expressed. We should all take what we consider appropriate measures to reduce the risk of bike theft. The "the insurance will cover it" attitide *does* stink.

But we all have to make a judgement on the balance of risk. If I thought like RCA, I 'd never do the miles that I do. And I think if that *was* my world-view I'd regard bike ownership as more hassle and worry than it's worth.

Fortunately, it isn't, and I don't.

YMFB 08-Dec-2005 00:35

Firstlty I take issue with England is a dump, true it has some dumpy parts but if it is that bad why down sarf are we inundated with Ozzies and South Africans because its less of a dump and we earn more.

Secondly we should all take care to secure our bikes but unless Im very much mistaken the horror stories I have read all seem to happen in big towns and cities. Out here in the sticks we are not affected by such evil filth who turn up in a van having followed you home and nick your pride and joy - well if we are its so rare that I have never heard of it.

So if you are that disallusioned either start riding something that the Scum wont nick, move house to a quiter area or get the big hungry dog in !

Glyn 08-Dec-2005 01:58

sorry chap cant agree

in the same context
we must agree with the veiws of some
that state if a girl flirts with a bloke or dresses attractivly and gets raped she has brought it on herself
or if you ride a motor bike you are a chid killer

:puzzled:

clockwork orange 08-Dec-2005 10:08

Quote:

Originally posted by RCAAnd the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums.

No, the reason claims are so high is because there are "affirmative shoppers" out there who want something for nothing.

The attitude some people have is the problem - why bother to do an honest days work and be an upstanding citizen when the state (read taxpayer) will pay for my house, bills etc even when I'm nicked. BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.

YMFB 08-Dec-2005 10:44

Quote:

Originally posted by clockwork orange
Quote:

Originally posted by RCAAnd the 'if it gets nicked, Iam covered, I don't care', attitude is that of a total retard. The reason the FC insurance premiums are so high in the first place is because of this very attitude. More claims, higher premiums.

No, the reason claims are so high is because there are "affirmative shoppers" out there who want something for nothing.

The attitude some people have is the problem - why bother to do an honest days work and be an upstanding citizen when the state (read taxpayer) will pay for my house, bills etc even when I'm nicked. BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.
Send them to a penal colony like the IOW !

RCA 08-Dec-2005 11:19

Quote:

[i]BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY, and hard labour for the ones that are left.

Agreed.

Braai Boy 08-Dec-2005 11:55

If I though the missus out I'd have to get rid of the bike as she would take all my pocket money with her ;)

keith_mann1959 08-Dec-2005 23:29

I am the guy who had his bike nicked from Mallory, first bike nicked in over 20 years. It is not my fekkin fault that premiums are high. Its the *******s who stole it, go F*** yourself.
I am really unhappy that it happened but like others have said i will not let the possibility of it happening again turn me into a paranoid nervous wreck. I still expect to enjoy me biking.
Yes britain is a dump, agree with that bit but i would be just as worried about bike theft in Italy or the south of france.

guest1 09-Dec-2005 08:57

Quote:

Originally posted by keith_mann1959
I am the guy who had his bike nicked from Mallory, first bike nicked in over 20 years. It is not my fekkin fault that premiums are high. Its the *******s who stole it, go F*** yourself.
I am really unhappy that it happened but like others have said i will not let the possibility of it happening again turn me into a paranoid nervous wreck. I still expect to enjoy me biking.
Yes britain is a dump, agree with that bit but i would be just as worried about bike theft in Italy or the south of france.
Some years ago friend went to france and got his bike nicked first night. Is France a dump?

Death Penalty - nah, too easy. Give em jail and let them suffer their conscience if they have one.
Two days ago it was reported that a gentleman oooop north (in bradford I think) was sent to jail for 8 years. The courts also said that if he doesn't pay back an amount of money he scammed he'll get an extra 7 years. That amount of money was around 2 million - so if he doesn't pay it back then I figure for each of those 7 years he has £300k? So much for make the punishment fit the crime.

Back on thread - having your bike nicked. so who's the criminal then? the geezer who nicks it, the insurance company who pays out a meezly amount and ramps up other peoples insurance through no fault of their own, or the owner who doesn't take sufficient care over his own property, or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny?

RCA 09-Dec-2005 11:02

Is France a dump?

Death Penalty - nah, too easy. Give em jail and let them suffer their conscience if they have one.
Two days ago it was reported that a gentleman oooop north (in bradford I think) was sent to jail for 8 years. The courts also said that if he doesn't pay back an amount of money he scammed he'll get an extra 7 years. That amount of money was around 2 million - so if he doesn't pay it back then I figure for each of those 7 years he has £300k? So much for make the punishment fit the crime.

Back on thread - having your bike nicked. so who's the criminal then? the geezer who nicks it, the insurance company who pays out a meezly amount and ramps up other peoples insurance through no fault of their own, or the owner who doesn't take sufficient care over his own property, or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny? [/quote]

Yes France is a dump, and the channel tunnel has alot to answer for...(but will save that for another time or Radio 2).

To further clarify my original point, a motorcycle (especially a Ducati) is clearly a desirble item and because of this and because bikes are so difficult to make secure because of the very physics, because liquid nitro exists, because England has become a dumping grown for the dregs of our society, we have to take the view that, if a bike is left outside, unattended, out of sight by the owner, it is not safe.

The fact is FC insurance is so expensive because so many bikes gets stolen because of the 'I don't care attitude it's covered' or the 'Its safe here, I'll only be a minute...' attitudes. I do not know anyone who has/can afford FC insurance? Do you? I cannot even get a qoute from any of the respectable (if you can call them that!) insurance companies. I got a few companies wanting £4,000, its ridiculas. So ok, I have a £10k bike thats only 3rd party, but I know 100% its never gonna get nicked (and if it did, I would know either the bird or the dog were in on it, especially when a few days later she was sporting a Gucci watch and the dog a diamonty coller!). FC or no FC, I would still be just as security conscious, and how does a few locks and 5 minutes of manovering the bike into the house take away the enjoyment of riding? It does'nt. If I go out for a ride and stop, I just make sure I always have sight of it, which is'nt difficult. Its not paranoi, it's being sensible and helping the cause. Taking a desirible bike (Ducati, MV..) to a race track on a busy race day, IMHO, is not a clever move.

Lets face it, most of us only have bike insurance because its a legallty, which is why most of us go for 3rd party only cover. I have done the maths and FC insurance based on the qoutes I have had, given the odds, pros and cons, would be a total waste of time and money on any bike.

I think I/we have exhausted this one for now, how about a new topic, hhmm....

'Jeremy Clarkson.........Firing Squad or Public Stoning? Maybe it's this clown nicking all the bikes? :frog:

keith_mann1959 09-Dec-2005 11:49

My Fully comp was less than £300 for a 748R. Not out of reach at all.
I can't imagine a way that i can go to a major race meeting and wander around as i want and still be able to see my bike, Get REAL. This is a major part of what i own a bike for and i don't want to be that paranoid about the bike all the time.
People who steal bikes are at fault no one else.
Yes i know in this day and age its stupid to believe you can leave anything around and expect it to still be there, i am not that niave.
However, the point is just because i could steal something does not give me the right to do so.

TP 09-Dec-2005 12:08

My bike is worth over £10k and my FC insurance in London for that bike is just over £500 - I wouldn't be without even if it wasn't compulsory.

VanDaMauler 09-Dec-2005 12:29

RCA drives a modified subaru, of course he`s bitter...

Have you seen what every subaru driver looks like??? :o

[Edited on 9-12-2005 by Bubbles]

BDG 09-Dec-2005 12:50

I think France is a great place with far better attitudes and freedom in a lot of cases than here, and they'll not lie down and accept some of the cr*p we put up with.

France, like virtually every other country has its fair share of theiving scum bags.

As for fully comp, i pay less than £500 for 3 bikes so don't think its too bad. My postcode is fairly highly rated being in a big city rather than out in the sticks.

As for security, i've tried to make my place very secure, but when out and about always try and keep the bike in sight, use a good disc lock, plus its alarmed and dataged.

There always will be times when the bike will be out of sight, but try and pick a parking place carefully, but also carry a shortened top qaulity ALMAX chain so we can lock 2 bikes together to stop them being lifted into a van.

ALMAX are the only people who make chains that can't be bolt cropped, i've seen them do it to 3 of my chains, supposed top of the range Abus granite stuff when testing.

I've also tested the ALMAX chain with the aid of the fire brigade, with their jaws of life hydraulic bolt croppers and the use of my mates engineering place so i know the stuff is GOOD. ALMAX chains are the best and that whats goes on my bikes.

I know there are ways of cutting anything, but i'm sure as hell not going to broadcast this info; but bolt croppers are the most used method because its quick and quiet. Villians do not want to take too long or attract attention to themselves. Always lock your bike to something secure so it can't just be lifted into a van.

I speak from bitter experience having had 2 bikes nicked in the past, but also had the very fortunate and incredibly rare pleasure of introducing the thief to hospital food, when he fell over by accident.:lol:

Ains. 09-Dec-2005 12:52

Quote:

or then again, is it the primary school teacher who should have instilled a better understanding of right and wrong in little Johnny?

Whoa there. Try parents first. Right and wrong is instilled in the first years of life. If it ain't there by year 5 then it's a devil of a job to sort it.

No names, real incident a few years ago in a northern town.
Kid in wifes class was sick, phone parents. Got 'Dad' on mobile, kid ill please pick up, 'Dad' turns up pi55ed takes sick kid back to pub and sits him in the bar with a bucket to be sick in. Do they bother to turn up to parent evenings? No.
Do they bother to pick kid up from school? No, Grandpa does. 'Dad still in the pub! Mother? Same caring attitude.
Same kid, beats up others in school, parents in, what happens? Kid goes to special school for behavioural problems, but school closing thanks to 'inclusive' agenda of crack pot govt. Kid back again with one to one carer, but only a 1 1/2 days a week in half days due to lack of money in Education budget. Wife (teacher) has to deal with consequences. Read bruised legs and general mayhem. Repeat through years 6 to 9.
Fast forward a few years. Same kid now in High School, gets expelled in first year of attendance, repeat in other years until forced into sink school down the road.
Kid now has criminal record and is well known to the Rozzers. Drugs, you name it.

So don't bl00dy well tell me it's the primary school teacher coz it effin well is not.

Ains. :flame:

RCA 09-Dec-2005 13:48

Quote:

Originally posted by Bubbles
RCA drives a modified subaru, of course he`s bitter...

Have you seen what every subaru driver looks like??? :o

You gave you that picture of me? I've lost weight since then.