Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   '03 999 Brake Lockup (/showthread.php?t=30415)

ductime 09-May-2006 18:43

\'03 999 Brake Lockup

Hello to All,

This is my first post here at DSC. I posted this story on another site on Monday. Shazaam steered me to a thread by Twinfan here at DSC.

A riding buddy had a nasty get off Sunday while riding in the So. Calif desert. It occurred on a long downhill stretch, 130-140kph, front brakes locked, well not quite locked, but took control of the bike away from the rider. The result was a hard face plant with the usual consequences. Helmet, gloves totaled and right side of bike scrubbed off, Alpinstar leathers well broken in.

The bike was purchased used with 7000 miles on the clock. Service were performed on time. Stock brake system with OEM pads. This problem happened the first time when riding home with his new bike on the freeway the front end took a sudden dive to a dead stop having to fight to keep it up right.

We thought it might have been rider input error and didn't think much of it. Second time was riding home from a mutual friends house after helping him sort the suspension. This time we became a little skeptical it could be rider error again. His background is racing Ducatis in Ireland in the 70-80's, he knows motorcycles and how to ride them.

With that said, we are convinced it was some type of mechanical malfunction and any input would be greatly appreciated.