Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Monsters (/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Any ideas how to undo the lower shock bolt (/showthread.php?t=84281)

skidlids 22-Apr-2011 15:35

Any ideas how to undo the lower shock bolt

As per the title

Been struggling for a couple of hours to undo the lower shock bolt on my 1100 Monster, tried the air gun and 600mm long breaker bar and all I have managed to acheive is two spiral 8mm Hex keys and a marked footrest casting and the bolt is still solid.

The bike is less than 2 years old has less than 9k miles on it and wasn't used through the winter.

skidlids 22-Apr-2011 15:54

Decided to try the 750mm breaker bar and a 3rd 8mm Hex Key
Managed to shear the Hex Key, so the costs of trying to undo this one bolt is mounting up

Maybe I should see if I can get the bolt replaced under the warranty, although that doesn't help at the moment and at the same time see about the alloy corosion on the front headlight

skidlids 22-Apr-2011 21:36

Did type a follow up thanking Kev P for his help
Then when I posted the reply I got the Sit Busy message and lost it in the ether

dunlop0_1 22-Apr-2011 21:39

It sounds daft Kev but, left hand thread ?
Stranger things have happened.

Gbyte666 22-Apr-2011 22:00

Well now I have seen it all. Skids posting up a "How do I"
I have lived.

:)

Craig

skidlids 23-Apr-2011 01:06

Nope Neil not a left hand thread, not even a nut to worry about
A 10mm Bolt passes through the swingarm casting through the shock eye and threads into the swingarm on the other side.

Craig it pretty much turned out to be a two man job, what should be a fairly simple job is made a lot harder by Ducatis use of nickle plated Steel bolts and fitting them into alloy without the use of any anti-seize compound.

Kev P came around with some more 8mm Hex keys which we then managed to trash including the Snap-on one

In the end we got it out with me heating the swingarm with the heat gun adjacent to the thread area and Kev attacking it from the other side with the Windy gun
Once the bolt was removed there was no sign of either thread-lock or Anti-Seize compound. So the problem was caused by corrosion, needles to say when I refitted the bolt after cleaning it with scotch-brite I gave it a liberal coating of copper slip

So the answer to the original question is

Six 8mm Hex Keys required
Windy Gun required
10 Bar Compressor required
Heat Gun required
Two people required
And how ever long it takes

Loz 23-Apr-2011 07:59

I too love the steel bolt, alloy combo.
Undoing something or other (footpeg?), the other day, I needed a breaker bar arrangement on the allen key ... the thing finally let go with an ear-splitting crack and a distinct spark. A spark! Crazy.

AK 23-Apr-2011 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids

In the end we got it out with me heating the swingarm with the heat gun adjacent to the thread area and Kev attacking it from the other side with the Windy gun
Once the bolt was removed there was no sign of either thread-lock or Anti-Seize compound. So the problem was caused by corrosion, needles to say when I refitted the bolt after cleaning it with scotch-brite I gave it a liberal coating of copper slip

am glad my suggestion to senna when he phoned worked then skids :)

skidlids 23-Apr-2011 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK
am glad my suggestion to senna when he phoned worked then skids :)

Yep Alan
by the time Kev phoned you we had tried everything bar the heat, mainly beacuse I didn't want to damage the finish on the swingarm.

But as you suggested you can't do it without it,
do you report these sort of issues back to the Factory or Ducati UK or just live with it.

skidlids 25-Apr-2011 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidlids
beacuse I didn't want to damage the finish on the swingarm.

Only a slight mark left on the swingarm from the heat gun
So I may have to go for a nice Carbon swingarm protector

http://www.motochepassione.it/PARTI-...NSTER-1100.htm