Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   ST Panniers and Top Box (/showthread.php?t=176229)

Trig 18-Jan-2013 18:40

ST Panniers and Top Box

Hi

I am interested in getting an St4S/St3/St3s to do a bit of 2 up touring on. Where is it possible to obtain the luggage from if I end up with a bike that hasn't any?

Any common problems with these bikes that I should look out for?

Cheers

John W 18-Jan-2013 21:04

You might still be able to order new pannier sets. I think they are the same as those used on the monsters too.
If not its good old ebay and keep an eye on the forums.

I had an ST4S ABS for 6 years, and there weren't many issues at all. The following are a few things to note though.

The ST4S shares the 996 engine, so can suffer from flaky rockers. That can get expensive - my repair bill for a set of rockers and a cam was close on £1k with labour.

It seems some bikes didn't have the head stock bears greased very well, so they get notchy. Not a big job to replace them, but something to look out for.

The rear brake can be pants, but a wavy disc, decent set of pads, and a good fluid bleed make it pretty good.

If the bike has been dropped the tank can leak. This is as a result of the rear bracket of the tank getting pulled and the weld splitting.

Asside from that a cracking bike. Wish I hadn't sold mine now :|

Iconic944ss 18-Jan-2013 22:22

Hi Trig,

My ST4s was for sale but I didnt have a single taker last and am in a quandry now.

There are some cracking ST's for sale on DuN, well worth a look here:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...or-Sale-Wanted

Good luck with the search!

Trig 19-Jan-2013 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by John W
You might still be able to order new pannier sets. I think they are the same as those used on the monsters too.
If not its good old ebay and keep an eye on the forums.

I had an ST4S ABS for 6 years, and there weren't many issues at all. The following are a few things to note though.

The ST4S shares the 996 engine, so can suffer from flaky rockers. That can get expensive - my repair bill for a set of rockers and a cam was close on £1k with labour.

It seems some bikes didn't have the head stock bears greased very well, so they get notchy. Not a big job to replace them, but something to look out for.

The rear brake can be pants, but a wavy disc, decent set of pads, and a good fluid bleed make it pretty good.

If the bike has been dropped the tank can leak. This is as a result of the rear bracket of the tank getting pulled and the weld splitting.

Asside from that a cracking bike. Wish I hadn't sold mine now :|

Thanks for the info John. Did Ducati use there own luggage design? I was hoping I might be able to pick up non Ducati but the same design, fit badges and spray the tops and hey presto I have Ducati Luggage :-)

Trig 19-Jan-2013 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Hi Trig,

My ST4s was for sale but I didnt have a single taker last and am in a quandry now.

There are some cracking ST's for sale on DuN, well worth a look here:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...or-Sale-Wanted

Good luck with the search!

Hi Frank. I think I could do with Ducati Down Sarth. Why are you in a quandry?

Iconic944ss 20-Jan-2013 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trig
Hi Frank. I think I could do with Ducati Down Sarth. Why are you in a quandry?

Hi again, just seen a great line from Skidlids, "its too good a bike to sell, considering what I'd get for it"..

and considering how much I spent on it last year getting it ready to ride to Italy...

Feel free to have a read:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...d.php?t=125631

One addition to make to John W's list:
Front headlight is pants... HID is the way to go IMHO.