Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Help required plus a sorry tale... (/showthread.php?t=37984)

RightSaidFred 22-Oct-2006 15:42

Help required plus a sorry tale...

She let me down last night. For the first time in 2 years so can't complain. Non starter. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the fuel pump. When you turn on the ignition and kill switch, the pump usually runs up for a few seconds. It isn't now. I know where the pump is, but is there a relay for it I should check first? Or any other things I should check?

The sorry tale? Well I waited over 2 and a half hours for the RAC. In the end they sent a local contractor. They brought a flatbed lorry with a wheeled contraption which locks the front wheel of the bike in. This then straps to the flatbed. Away we went, first right hand bend, crash, over she goes.

So broken fuel pump, fairing, mirror, peg, etc. etc. Not bad considering I only popped to a mates house and didn't even crash! :( :( :(

Chaz 22-Oct-2006 15:51

It's proberbley the relay but check fuses first.

Jasper 22-Oct-2006 15:58

fuel injection and pump relay fuses?

Jools 22-Oct-2006 16:07

My 888 Strada suddenly expired just after an 'enthusiastic' run on bumpy roads when me and the BHCN crew (plus Loz and Henners) were on our way up to 'Raid the Lakes'. It turned out that one of the connectors in the fuse box was making it's way out of the back of the fuse box and thus only the tip of the fuse was making contact - intermittently.

You also want to check all the connectors and relays to make sure that all the various interlocks are working. Green corroded connectors are all too common - at least they are on my bikes :smug:

As far as the bike falling over, isn't repairing the damage down to the recovery folks?

KeefyB 22-Oct-2006 16:28

Blocked fuel filter??
Just a thought.

RightSaidFred 23-Oct-2006 03:07

I'll go over all the connectors tomorrow. Don't think it's a blocked filter as this was renewed this year, and the pump is just dead as a dodo, makes no noise at all.
I was hoping someone would tell me which relays control the pump and where they're at?
Yes, the repairs are down to the recovery company, but the point is, it shouldn't have happened, and I just know it's gonne be the usual fight with them / insurance companies / muppets / phones on hold for ages / no one calling me back / palm offs / high blood pressure etc etc etc! Aarrgghh!

Jasper 23-Oct-2006 07:23

The fuses for the injection and fuel pump are under the seat unit next to the rear light.You will see two relays,both with 15A fuses.Check both fuses.You can also swap the relays round,as they are the same.

RightSaidFred 24-Oct-2006 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper
The fuses for the injection and fuel pump are under the seat unit next to the rear light.You will see two relays,both with 15A fuses.Check both fuses.You can also swap the relays round,as they are the same.

Thankyoouu! :D

loony888 04-Nov-2006 06:42

if all else fails check your eprom is still fitting snug. as they sit upside down they can come loose, especially if you have replaced it. this happened to me and i had my bike in a million bits on the side of the road before giving up in disgust! after being told to check mine and indeed finding this to be the problem i glued some foam to the inside of the lid to apply a little pressure to the eprom, no problems since.
cheers,
paul.

Davieravie 04-Nov-2006 08:53

9 times out of 10 its the fuel pump relay for that snag. Ive went through 2 in a year. Put a good blob of silicone over the new one to stop the water getting in (if it is is that) :)