Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Bleeding Clutch (/showthread.php?t=21905)

748IOM 16-Sep-2005 16:36

Bleeding Clutch

OK time has come to bleed the clutch, the level has gone down to the low marker, it's also black.

Is DOT 5.1 the best stuff to use?

The rest I'm going to look up in the Haynes Manual, but does anyone thing I will need a new seal for it if the level has dropped?

Sorry for being ignorant but if I don't ask I'll never learn.

Thanks

Derek 16-Sep-2005 16:46

If the level has dropped the fluid must have gone somewhere, so yes a new slave cylinder seal is probably required. ProTwins do an X-ring seal that works much better for about £2. Check the condition of the slave cylinder bore very carefully. If it is badly scored it may need replacing in which case an aftermarket such as Evolutione would be a good idea, which most people will recommend you do anyway. If the original cylinder has only light scoring you may be able to clean it up with fine wet and dry.
And yes 5.2 is good preferably a synthetic based fluid.

748IOM 16-Sep-2005 16:53

I haven't even looked in the Haynes yet but just while I'm at work thinking about it, where the hell is the Slave cylinder on the Duke??

Also by checking for damage to you mean where the seal seats? Can the bore get damaged then?? How corrosion??

Thanks again

Derek 16-Sep-2005 17:26

The slave is the cylinder thing held on to the LH cover with 3 screws just forward of your left boot.
Yes damage where the seal seats. The OEM cycliner is just soft aluminium and can get easliy scored with dirt or ridged by the piston which is often not a very good fit. Corrosion is not generally an issue but the castings sometimes have pinholes which don't help them seal.
If you strip it and replace the seal, bleeding can be a real problem. Once you start getting fluid to come through it purge the slave cylinder by loosening the bleed screw, pushing the piston all the way in, tightening the bleed screw and then releasing the piston. Air usually gets trapped at the top banjo as well. This can be removed by tilting the bike over so that the reservoir is higher than the banjo or by loosening the banjo bolt slightly, pulling the lever to expel the air and tightening the banjo again. Use a rag to catch any spilt fluid and if yopu gat any on the paintwork wash it off immediately with plenty of water.