Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Magnesium Bling... (/showthread.php?t=24555)

851neil 29-Nov-2005 13:40

Magnesium Bling...

Seriously thinking about one of these !!
I spoke with the guy that runs the shop today and he has to have them made specially, he isn't carrying an immediately available stock.
So I was thinking that if any of you bling merchants out there wanted one that I could take the 'orders' and negotiate a bulk discount with him.
Let me know what you think.
cheers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7954145279&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Neil

Rob B 29-Nov-2005 14:03

Ouch, that's expensive. They do come up a good deal cheaper than that. RPRmoto had one a while ago.

Rgds, Rob

851neil 29-Nov-2005 15:10

Rob, yes it's expensive - that's why I thought more of us buying could get the price dropped.
If youv'e seen these advertised at lower cost before what target price should I be aiming for with this part ?
cheers

Neil

Rob B 29-Nov-2005 16:26

I can't find the old ebay thing, but I think it was less than 200 Euros

Jools 29-Nov-2005 16:36

I like the thought of magnesium...especially mag wheels...but I'm a bit concerned over it's tendency to corrode into powder

Rob B 29-Nov-2005 17:04

Not so bad on the clutch side but not 100% advisable for the water pump housing either.

phil911 29-Nov-2005 19:13

Interesting !!! ...

On circuits when racing, the unique cooling fluid approved is : Water !!!
but water and magnsesium aren't very good friends, espacially on Ducatis, coz the water pump is included into the alternator case.
Thus, if you want to keep your magnesium case as long as possible, you must empty the circuit frequently ....

However, if you use your bike on the open roads with a magnesium case, you can use special glycol water cooling without risk !!! Magnesium doesn't negatively react with this chimical fluid ...

Last advise :
- MOTUL recently created a special cooling fluid for the association Aluminium/Magnesium. The liquid color is red and issued from the range : "Factory line".

I already bought some bottles in order to test ...
I'm very confident after the study of the technical and chemical informations ...

Now, up to you !!!

851neil 29-Nov-2005 19:51

Phil sounds good to me - I now need to ask him if they do the alternator side as well !!

Ducman851 30-Nov-2005 04:05

Quote:

Originally posted by 851neil
Seriously thinking about one of these !!
I spoke with the guy that runs the shop today and he has to have them made specially, he isn't carrying an immediately available stock.
So I was thinking that if any of you bling merchants out there wanted one that I could take the 'orders' and negotiate a bulk discount with him.
Let me know what you think.
cheers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7954145279&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Neil

If only he could cast the Ducati script into it and paint em green. Then youd have something.

Like the one on mine.

851neil 30-Nov-2005 10:08

now I just want to cry - arrrrrrrgghhhhhhhh
verrrrry nice...