Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Is it just me, or... (/showthread.php?t=22275)

Jools 27-Sep-2005 15:56

Is it just me, or...

You know when you're in the process of choosing a new car and poring over catalogues? Suddenly there seem to be loads of cars of the type you're considering, they seem to be everywhere when you never noticed them before!

I guess it's the same with bikes (although I don't get to buy too many). Ever since I started looking at T8's - and up until I finally bought one - there seems to be a big resurgence of interest in 'em on this board, both in the activity on this forum and general comments from people who're either looking at buying, wishing they could buy etc...There was someone selling a 996 on here yesterday so that they could buy an 888

Is it just me suffering from seeing T8's everywhere just because I'm buying one (comes on Thursday :D) or are there genuinely a lot more people interested in them?

Rob B 27-Sep-2005 16:04

Jools,

I think you are already within a community of interest here. You're bound to see a lot more 888 noise around here.

In general, I think there is a reasonalble, steady state interest in 8xx bikes. Owners come and go, but I am not sure if 8xx owners keep their bikes longer than 9xx or classics? That said, I am planning 888 mods/stuff for this winter and next too.

I'm sure others will be along to comment in due course.

Rgds, Rob

P.S. What model are you going for?

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by rob41b]

Brent 27-Sep-2005 16:46

Whatever it is, just after you've bought one, you come across a better deal....:mad:

Crunchy 27-Sep-2005 17:02

It's because they want to be in the grown-up's group. :cool:

I have both a 851 & a 916. :smug: If I had to sell one it would be the 916. I want to be buried with my 851. Don't ask me why, I just couldn't part with it and I think that in is where the problem lies. No one wants to sell them, so they are a little special:saint: Probable first love etc

Redsps 27-Sep-2005 17:44

agree with rob on this one.

851/888 of all flavours are becoming very desirable bikes to have now, and interest in them is growing, just look at the amount of info and posts etc on this board. will probably be one of the most viewed sections here shortly;);)
I can't see them dropping in value for the foreseeable future to be honest. they are fast becoming probably the most coolectable of the superbike dukes in my opinion.

for all there probs, I love'em ........

cheers
robin

Ains. 27-Sep-2005 18:31

Ravvin' right there blokes.
Can't knock 'em, they've got that x factor that other bikes just don't have. ;)
Mark Forsyth wrote a few years back, "the 888 is the biking equivalent of the Ferrari 250GTO and that, dear reader, is why you want one."
Can't say fairer than that.

Ains.

Nattyboy 27-Sep-2005 18:34

Just got off the phone from Jasper and we were talking about the very same thing !! (triggered off by us commenting on new owners in here WHICH IS GREAT TO SEE!!)

Its amazing isnt it how desirable they have become..??

I remember Peter Brooking (marketing head honcho at DUK), looking at mine at Silverstone, and saying how they'd still sell bucket loads if the factory still made them !!

Mmmm..now theres a thought...888 sportclassic anyone ??

:lol:

Nat

Redsps 27-Sep-2005 18:40

I'm going into production at this very moment from my modest garage.;);)
I think it would probably be the biggest mistake possible if they started reproducing 8xx bikes, best leave things well alone, its how things were ment to be.....just tell them to get the spares situation sorted out;);)

original is allways best:D:D:D

Nattyboy 27-Sep-2005 18:50

too right mate..just look at the shoddy raleigh chopper theyve started reproducing...:lol:

Nat

Crunchy 27-Sep-2005 18:50

Quote:

[i] bikes, best leave things well alone, its how things were ment to be.....
original is allways best:D:D:D

There is a New State side member (can't remember his name) who has just bought a 851/888 but with 916 bits and pieces on it. I hope he has just read you post:smug: