Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Trackdays & Race Schools (/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Body Position - What's best? (/showthread.php?t=19580)

Mr_S 11-Jul-2005 15:43

Body Position - What\'s best?

After Brands GP last week, I've started to think about my body positioning and what's best.

Up until this point I've always tried to keep my head along the centre line of the bike

However, after sitting in one of their training sessions on body position, and watching the GP last night, I'm starting to wonder whether I should make some changes.

What's the concensus of opinion, if any?

I recall this being covered on the CSS Level 1 course, but that was 6 years ago :o , so would appreciate being reminded by anyone who's attended recently. (can't do any dates this year :( aren't employers and families inconsiderate...)

TIA

Jason

Twinfan 11-Jul-2005 15:58

I never think about where my head is, usually where my shoulders and bum cheeks are. I then let my head go wherever feels natural :lol:

But what would I know? I'm dog slow...

TP 11-Jul-2005 16:04

What I was told ...

You want to keep your spine in a line that is parallel with a line through the centre of the bike. So, if you're hanging off the bike and your spine is 6 inches from the centre of the bike, your head should be 6 inches off the bike. A tip I was given was to try and get my chin down to my hand on the handle bar. I do have high, wide bars on the monster but you get the idea.

It's only a guide though, there's a plethora of styles in MotoGP and they seem nippy enough :D

phil_h 11-Jul-2005 16:04

Definitely dont think about where your head is - it should always be safely sitting between your ears, and if it isnt, you wont be worryinh about it any more :D
If you want to get more 'body lean' you need to think about where your 'inside' elbow is ... cos your body will follow it of course !
That is the first simple thing to feel for when you are riding anywhere - cos the most common prob is to keep the elbows almost locked into position ... I've even seen it with someones arse hanging off the bike :P
If you get your inside elbow lower everything else will follow much more naturally.

dickieducati 11-Jul-2005 16:07

in an ideal world your back should be parallel to the line of the bike so if your arse is 1 foot off the seat so should your head be.

Andy Ibbott 11-Jul-2005 16:12

Hi,

I agree with both points above. It's very important to keep the head/back/arse inline (*Waits for Dibble input on that comment!) this stops you twisting and putting too much weigh on the inside handlebar which will effect the bike's stablity in the corner.

Also, to bend your inside arm will as phil_h states allow your body to move to the inside of the bike and the corner. This the idea as it reduces the effect of the cornering forces on you and the bike, it's also a shorter distance to fall. :)

All the best

Andy

Mr_S 11-Jul-2005 16:13

Tony, Dickie, that concurs with what I've been thinking is awry with my body positioning.

So, time to start practising before Cadwell, so I can get it feeling natural. Even though it looks a bit daft on the road :frog:

Cheers guys,

Anyone else got some suggestions?

BTW, this pic is what I currently look like from the rear, and has made me think in earnest about changing.

http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/v2.p...1&_DSC8829.jpg

dickieducati 11-Jul-2005 16:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy Ibbott
it's also a shorter distance to fall. :)
Andy

:lol::lol::lol:

spoken like a true pro!

Mr_S 11-Jul-2005 16:14

Cheers Andy.

BTW, are those dates in Dubai really £0.00

If so, can I hire a bike :)

Harv748 11-Jul-2005 16:15

CSS level 1 does mention about the idel body position, but this is more for when riding in a neatral position, not really hanging off. I remember Andy Ibott saying how the ideal position when upright is to just sit back in the seat and then dropp your elbows down and slouch over the tank (almost like you have no spine).

And then for corners as mentioned above (inside elbow/shoulder low, head/spine/bike parallel) etc.

Body position I believe is covered more in CSS 3. I'm due that level next and get the feeling its going to be the most helpful of all the levels for me as my body position I know holds me back and is really pants!

Added: Well what do you know...speak of the devil:devil:

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by Harv748]