Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   MCE (/showthread.php?t=85483)

tcat 24-Jan-2012 19:14

MCE

MCE seem to be one of the very few insurers out there that are prepared to insure a modified duke for a reasonable price - especially on a multi bike policy :)

----

... after x4 hours shopping around :(

Fruitbat 25-Jan-2012 08:48

IIRC there were shed loads of people who had shocking problems with them when they actually needed to claim. Might have been a temporary glitch in customer services and I'm not 100% certain it was MCE - and can't check as t'other ducati website is still down. Have you tried Ducati Insurance who had no probs with my slightly tweaked Hyper? EBike also gave a fair quote and both seem to have a good reputation.

Jolley 25-Jan-2012 09:55

I have been using eBike for 4 years (since I passed my test and got my first bike). I had 6 points, less than a year on my licence, and wanted to insure an 848 with about £10k of bling. I got a very fair quote, and when I threw it down the road they replaced like-for-like with no quibbles.

Cobbett 25-Jan-2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat
IIRC there were shed loads of people who had shocking problems with them when they actually needed to claim. Might have been a temporary glitch in customer services and I'm not 100% certain it was MCE - and can't check as t'other ducati website is still down.

It was.

tcat 25-Jan-2012 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitbat
IIRC there were shed loads of people who had shocking problems with them when they actually needed to claim. Might have been a temporary glitch in customer services and I'm not 100% certain it was MCE - and can't check as t'other ducati website is still down. Have you tried Ducati Insurance who had no probs with my slightly tweaked Hyper? EBike also gave a fair quote and both seem to have a good reputation.

Yup... Had a chat with Ducati Insurance, very helpful indeed. Advice was to bite their arm off & renew with Devitt (previous insurers). Fuming to find out that although I initially disclosed my 748 to 853 JHP mod, it wasn't actually recorded on the policy itself. When asking whether they will cover a modded bike their firm answer was no. but, but, but...., etc. not happy.

Never really appreciated that it was so much hassle insuring a modded bike.

MCE no quibbles £300 for 2 bikes. Not bad. Unmodded 748r £90 (no additional perks)

Already bit the bullet with MCE. :/ hmmmm.

tcat 25-Jan-2012 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolley
I have been using eBike for 4 years (since I passed my test and got my first bike). I had 6 points, less than a year on my licence, and wanted to insure an 848 with about £10k of bling. I got a very fair quote, and when I threw it down the road they replaced like-for-like with no quibbles.

Tried eBike... No mods allowed :(

bradders 25-Jan-2012 23:00

have you tried calling rather than online? Carol Nash are very good at finding cover others cant

tcat 26-Jan-2012 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradders
have you tried calling rather than online? Carol Nash are very good at finding cover others cant

... I did the traditional "gocompare" and the "comparethemarket", then called through the top 5 to confirm engine mod. Tried Carol Nash - no mods :(

All sorted now tho with MCE - fingers crossed I won't bin the bike for another year

Jolley 26-Jan-2012 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleyford
Tried eBike... No mods allowed :(

Strange! I had mods from day 1 with them, and still have about £5k worth of extras listed on my policy.

tcat 26-Jan-2012 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolley
Strange! I had mods from day 1 with them, and still have about £5k worth of extras listed on my policy.

From speaking to a few of the insurance companies, some are taking a different stance from what was explained i.e., Devitt has recently stopped offering multi-bike policies for new customers...

skidlids 26-Jan-2012 19:47

I'm insured with Ducati Insurance and have been for quite a few years now and getting my policy renewed with the modded bikes hasn't been a problem, but I'm told its a old style policy that is no longer available to new customers.
This probably applies to other Insurance companies also, so sometimes staying where you are and paying a slightly increased premium to retain a old style policy is a better option than jumping ship to a cheaper policy

michel couque 26-Jan-2012 20:00

it is mce to be avoided at all costs...if you value your sanity...ducati insurance a breath of fresh air!

tcat 28-Jan-2012 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by michel couque
it is mce to be avoided at all costs...if you value your sanity...ducati insurance a breath of fresh air!

Thanks for the heads up... unfort I have already bit the bullet.

Bionicle 29-Jan-2012 10:30

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up... unfort I have already bit the bullet.

Same here, Ducati Insuance were having a larf asking for nearly a grand MCE came in at £217 will have to wait and see if i ever need to make a claim, touch wood i have not had to make a claim since i was 17 so my luck may hold out.

tcat 30-Jan-2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bionicle
Same here, Ducati Insuance were having a larf asking for nearly a grand MCE came in at £217 will have to wait and see if i ever need to make a claim, touch wood i have not had to make a claim since i was 17 so my luck may hold out.

Yup, Ducati Insurance advised without going through the quote process that if I was receiving a quote ~200 / ~300 squids for a modded duke, then bite their arm off. The impression I received from DI was that my quote would have been in excess of £800+

MCE was the only bike insurer to provide a painless all-inclusive quote, not like the other 'ryan-air' bolt on additions; helmet & leathers, breakdown, legal, courtesy car, etc, etc. They did the lot + throw in BSB membership perks.

michel couque 30-Jan-2012 21:11

never had a problem till needed to make a claim.........not even going to start telling the story...infact still being assesed at the ombudsmen,but already acknowledged that they have failed to reach the required standards in certain aspects.

Jolley 31-Jan-2012 12:07

Funnily enough, MCE were listed in my "go compare" car insurance renewal. I nearly laughed myself off of my chair when I saw it was £2,500!!!

Like skids said, it seems cyclical... They decide to go for a new market sector each year, then move on the next. Only allowing those that stay to keep previous deals. I remember when I got mine I was told to go o DI because a lot used them with mods and they were cheap... Not when I applied though, and only eBike were interested... Looks like it has moved on again...

tcat 31-Jan-2012 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by michel couque
never had a problem till needed to make a claim.........not even going to start telling the story...infact still being assesed at the ombudsmen,but already acknowledged that they have failed to reach the required standards in certain aspects.

Received a call from MCE today...

MCE: "Hello Sir, how are you. I am just calling to enquire if you want legal protection on your policy"

Me: "I was advised on purchasing that everything was included"

MCE: "Sorry sir, this is not showing up on the policy on purchase"

Me: "Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I was advised, blah blah blah.. listen into the recorded phone call and call me back"

... not best impressed and its only been a few days.

Anyway, going to take a punt with the following URL. Need to find out whether it covers me if I'm at fault, not that I'm a bad rider or anything

http://www.autolaw.co.uk

Cobbett 31-Jan-2012 23:19

Quote:

Anyway, going to take a punt with the following URL. Need to find out whether it covers me if I'm at fault, not that I'm a bad rider or anything

I cancelled the legal cover on each of the numerous auto policies we had and took out one of the above, after seeing recommendations. The cover is actually more extensive (eg covering everyone in the household, and/or on cycles etc), and you save ££s.

tcat 06-Feb-2012 09:48

Quote:

Received a call from MCE today...

MCE: "Hello Sir, how are you. I am just calling to enquire if you want legal protection on your policy"

Me: "I was advised on purchasing that everything was included"

MCE: "Sorry sir, this is not showing up on the policy on purchase"

Me: "Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I was advised, blah blah blah.. listen into the recorded phone call and call me back"

... not best impressed and its only been a few days.

Ash 1 MCE 0

Motor Legal Protection is now on my policy after MCE listened back to the prerecorded call :)

All I need to confirm now is a courtesy bike, personal accident cover & helmet & leathers cover.

If there's one thing I have learn't from this is to do a tick-back exercise after purchasing your policy! Unbelievable.

Cranker V2 06-Feb-2012 10:17

Helet gloves leathers boots etc have always been covered via my house insurance. I always ask car/bike insurers to remove that part of the insurance asI am covered elswhere.

I have been paid out twice for genuine claims when I was road riding. Most people seem to forget that house insurance includes accidental damage etc.

tcat 06-Feb-2012 16:54

Good point, never thought about that it being covered under my home policy :)

It is technically a single article worth less than £1500.00

Cranker V2 06-Feb-2012 17:11

I claimed helmet £250, gloves £80, boots £180, leathers £800, watch £!!!, rucksack £40. I think there was depreciation/wear n tear to pay on the helmet (!) so got 80% of value.

TheDrunkenBakers 09-Mar-2012 22:29

Yikes, Ive just done some comparison stuff on t'interweb as i will need cover on the new beaut after 21st April - current insurer wont charge anything up until that time but aftr that its 70 big ones - and MCE are consisently the best option with the best inclusions.

It alls seems too good to be true having read some review online and they seem to be flaky in every department, especially customer service. i am doubtful but they are 50% cheaper, at least, than everyone else.

michel couque 11-Mar-2012 00:31

as they say.if it sounds to good to be true..you have been warned,customer service is nil if you should have the unfortunate need to call on it.i would rather pay double after my episode.