Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   SP4 not revving (/showthread.php?t=35878)

beancounter 07-Sep-2006 14:49

SP4 not revving

Out for a bimble on the SP4 today, everything fine and dandy except that the bike wouldn't rev beyond about 8500 rpm. No other problems, no funny noises, water temp absolutely fine at 70-75 deg.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

BC

keefer 07-Sep-2006 14:51

fuel filter ?
blocked breather ?

philthy 07-Sep-2006 15:02

Just an idea

Try twisting the throttle a bit more?

beancounter 07-Sep-2006 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by keefer
fuel filter ?
blocked breather ?

Interesting - why would a blocked fuel breather prevent the bike from revving?

I have to take care not to overfill the tank with fuel as it occasionally seeps out of the filler cap, so there may be a problem with the breather.

Fordie 07-Sep-2006 15:28

If the tank is not open to atmosperics and the pump is running it could cause the tank to partially vacuum. stopping the fuel from going to the fuel lines 4D

twpd 07-Sep-2006 20:04

I concur with the fuel filter theory. IME a blocked breather is more likely to cause the engine to stop or splutter as it simply eventually fails to get any fuel due to the vacuum that builds in the tank.

bitchinSP4 07-Sep-2006 22:55

I had something similer happen to mine, it just would not rev. I was high up in the Alps at the time. Stoped for fuel a loud hiss as I opened the cap after that It was much better. After that I left the breather off. No probs.

Jools 07-Sep-2006 22:58

On a T8 the breather valve is in the pipe that comes out of the top of the tank...it's just a push fit so it would be easy to put it on frack to bunt.

Just a thought...

From the bloke who still hasn't sussed his spluttery ST

MJS 08-Sep-2006 07:25

It's probably just getting a bit old... time to get a new one... I'll take that one off your hands for a nominal fee :D :D :frog: :frog:

Cheers
Martin

pguenet 10-Sep-2006 00:58

If the problem goes worse and worse, you may want to change the rubber hoses in the tank. I had that happening to me once on a 916, took a month to diagnose the problem. There was a tiny split in one of the hoses in the tank. I would leak fuel back in the tank. Result, not enough pressure in the injectors and fuel starvation as soon as I was opening the throttle.
p