Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   How loud are termi's (/showthread.php?t=23906)

BIG-G 11-Nov-2005 10:13

How loud are termi\'s

I want to fit a Termi asymetrical to my 05 749. Just can, pipe and cover. No ecu as I'll get a power commander after xmas.
I'm concerned how loud they are as living in Nth Wales we get a lot of interest from the boys in blue.
Also who would be best to contact for a good deal?
Thanks
G

[Edited on 11-11-2005 by BIG-G]

yeti 11-Nov-2005 10:17

Termi's on Dukes are nowhere near as offensive as loud pipes on Japcrap. However, nothing is as loud as Monty's Gilera - OFFICIAL :sing:

Mr C 11-Nov-2005 10:21

I had loud 50 mm pipes on my old 996(RIP) now have loud Termis on my S4. Ive never had any probs with the boys in blue. I think that its kind of expected that a Ducati will be loud. Bit like those Harleys with straight through pipes, You know its suppse to be loud just because its a Harley.
Hope that makes sense

Twinfan 11-Nov-2005 10:37

I have the assymetric Termis on my 749S. They're pretty loud, quite a bit louder than standard. I've not had them on long, so I can't comment on the attention from the boys in blue. Being in North Wales, I know you're a target for noisy cans. I guess it's your choice if it's worth the risk. I have an (almost) legal size plate, and have had loud cans in the past without trouble.

I reckon a noisy can and a p155 taking numberplate will make you much more likely of a pull.

HW 11-Nov-2005 10:58

I've had Termi asymetric on my 03 749S for over a year now and done over 6,000 miles on them.

The CAN be loud, but only when you spank it, however at idle and lowish revs it just burbles (technical term) nicely and sounds brilliant. Compared to my wife's M620Sie with carbon Termis, it sounds more "raw" if you know what I mean. The 2 valve Monster has a deeper, more mellow sound, whereas the 4 valve 749 roars. Yeti is right that it is not anything like a Jap 4 howling away - nowhere near as offensive.

I live in a village full of old(ish) folk and I thought I was going to have trouble when I first got it fitted (after a year of std can). Not one single comment in over a year! I've ridden through town on many occassion and once I pulled alongside a copper in a car to wait for a couple of minutes in the next lane at some lights and he didn't even bat an eyelid. I was watching his reaction out of the corner of my eye, as were my mates behind me. So far, I've ridden past police and I just knock it into the hghest gear I can get away with and back the throttle off as much as possible. Hardly turns heads more than std then, until you open up again and then everyone turns to look. :bouncy: :burn:

dickieducati 11-Nov-2005 11:02

102 dB

HW 11-Nov-2005 11:14

Oh, forgot to mention .... a lot of horses about our way and when I pass them on the road I pull in the clutch and let the revs drop. Not had any incident yet, and most people wave and nod thanks if you do that.

wafty cranker 11-Nov-2005 11:18

Ive got a Termi system on mine mate, and I live in North Wales too and I have had no problems with the old bill. Thats hanging about around the Horseshoe pass, Betws-y-Coed etc, and never been close to being pulled.

As said earlier, I`m sure its expected on one of these, so it really is no problem. I just roll off the throttle when needed.

Anyway, when you get out next, fancy a meet? me and my mate, (749s), mess about up Ruthin / Abergele way (weather permitting). Drop me a U2U.

BIG-G 11-Nov-2005 12:46

Quote:

Originally posted by wafty cranker
Ive got a Termi system on mine mate, and I live in North Wales too and I have had no problems with the old bill. Thats hanging about around the Horseshoe pass, Betws-y-Coed etc, and never been close to being pulled.

As said earlier, I`m sure its expected on one of these, so it really is no problem. I just roll off the throttle when needed.

Anyway, when you get out next, fancy a meet? me and my mate, (749s), mess about up Ruthin / Abergele way (weather permitting). Drop me a U2U.

Will do. I was up at Woody's this week collecting bike after new fork seal. Busy this weekend but give you a U2U or visa versa
G

Martin Ducati Glasgow 11-Nov-2005 13:18

I agree with all above:)

Just to throw in my 2p worth.

Ridden loads of Duc's with various different "loud" cans. The boys in blue in Strathclyde (seriously my hat goes off to them!) seem to be the best around. They always seem to turn a blind eye (within reason!).:D

Spoken to loads of them in the store and this is what they say: -

"You have a loud can, you take it easy through the built up areas (high gear, low revs etc) we'll generally leave you alone. If you hoon through, you deserve all you get and we'll do you on the spot!"

"Best tip we can give is to keep on a legal number plate. We get complaints from bikers that we can't see their bikes after they've been nicked, how can we if we can't read the plate 'cause it's the size of a postage stamp?!
Plus we know your trying to avoid the camera threat, doesn't matter that it looks better. You keep a legal plate on and as long as you don't give us a load of verbal, there is a good chance we'll send you on your way"

Now folks, this is a sweeping generalisation, but i've never (touch wood) been done for having loud pipes on a bike in Strathclyde. Been pulled a good few times for various degrees of nonsense but plod always turns a blind eye to the pipes.

Note: Always had a "tea tray!" legal plate on.

Loads of my mates who don't, have got done!

To me there is a clear pattern here: loud pipes + legal plate = better chance of survival!;)

Then again maybe i've just been lucky!