Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   another starting problem!! (/showthread.php?t=79813)

Glyn 21-Jun-2009 17:08

another starting problem!!

just as i decide i will keep the 749s it is doing its best to pee me off
just replaced another fuel pump relay and solved 1 problem in order to develope another. i dont know if i've done something when in amongst the electrics.
went out for a ride after fixing relay and after a good ride we stop for petrol. when i try to start the bike the engine does about a quarter turn then stops (sounds like it is starting as normal but just stops after a second or 2) , after a few attempts it starts normally. same thing happens after we stop for tea and cake and after we stop for a pint. since then it has started normally, problem seems to have gone away. i still want to know what it is incase it comes back when i'm 100 miles from home!!

marko 21-Jun-2009 17:26

Hi glyn, how old is the fuel filter?

Glyn 21-Jun-2009 17:27

hi mark
fuel filter done at 6,000 miles just clicked on to 10,000

KeefyB 21-Jun-2009 17:28

When you said it stopped,had it been firing?Could be the filter,or a faulty battery,or battery connection.Both are notorious for failing.

Glyn 21-Jun-2009 17:39

the bike starts to turn over when i press the button but only for a second then just stops. did this on average five or six times before it turned over normally

KeefyB 21-Jun-2009 17:53

Hmm,.....I'm thinking battery or battery connections.

Glyn 21-Jun-2009 18:04

once it starts to turn the engine over propally the battery sounds strong enough??

Glyn 21-Jun-2009 18:06

of to the garadge with the voltmeter then

KeefyB 22-Jun-2009 08:13

The battery needs at least 12.7v to turn over the engine and power up the injection system.Sometimes you can get 12+v on the multimeter but the battery wont have enough ooomph to do the job.
If you are sure the battery is good,have a look at the starter solenoid.Make sure the connections are good,clean and tight.

Monty 22-Jun-2009 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeefyB
The battery needs at least 12.7v to turn over the engine and power up the injection system.Sometimes you can get 12+v on the multimeter but the battery wont have enough ooomph to do the job.
If you are sure the battery is good,have a look at the starter solenoid.Make sure the connections are good,clean and tight.

Also suspect the fuel relay-even if you have just changed it. My ST4S was notorious for eating fuel relays-when Jo and I went to Italy in 2003 we visited the Ducati dealer in every major town we stopped at to buy a new one. When we got back home JHP chopped the small relay out and replaced it with a big beefy unit from a 888-never had the problem since-still carry a spare under the seat though.................

John