Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   999R - is this normal? (/showthread.php?t=22760)

COL595 10-Oct-2005 19:25

999R - is this normal?

Ever since I got the bike, neutral has been a pain to engage. Numerous unwanted visits to 1st and 2nd eventually result in the green light, but it's an irritating process.

I dunno if it's a related prob, but I've noticed lately that gear selection becomes more of an effort when the bike gets hot - I've been told that this probably means that the hydraulic clutch needs bleeding.

Are these just more examples of 'they all do that sir', or do I have a special one?:puzzled:

Twinfan 10-Oct-2005 19:29

My 749S is occasionally tempremental, but not that bad really. I'd get it checked.

swannymere 10-Oct-2005 19:33

:saint:I think most do it,but they probably bleed it as part of the service routine so most people don't notice unless they go on trackdays:saint:

khu996 10-Oct-2005 19:33

Sounds like theres air in the system and the clutch needs bleeding.

Shazaam! 10-Oct-2005 19:47

Difficulty in selecting neutral is the result of the clutch plates still dragging after the cluch lever is pulled in. As the plate friction material wears, the plate stack height gets reduced so the problem usually becomes less severe over time. If you've replaced the clutch plates, the stack height may be too high, which will also cause the problem.

Two possible solutions:

Your 4-position clutch lever adjuster is placing the lever too close to the handlebar so you're not getting complete separation of the plates. Try a different adjuster position that gives a longer lever stroke.

If you are still unable to engage neutral, the most likely cause is air in the clutch hydraulic line. A trapped air bubble can compress (the fluid can't) so you won’t get a full stroke of the clutch pushrod and the clutch doesn’t fully disengage.

Another common reason that the clutch won't completely disengage is that the aftermarket force-reduction slave units (and later model Ducati slave units) move the clutch pushrod less distance - a design trade-off to accomplish a reduction in clutch lever forces.

COL595 10-Oct-2005 20:02

Blimey Shazaam, is there nothing you don't know? Clutch is all standard, but the bike's only done 2000 miles, so it might just be bedding in (?). Could the problem be made worse when the slave unit gets hot?

I'll try the span adjustment, but if that don't work I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and bleed the clutch.

I've got to put my hand up to some paranoia here - before I bought it, and when I was still thinking of buying an 'S', a guy from one of the (now defunct) Ducati London stores was telling me how 'some of the 999R boys will 'do' a clutch in less than 500 miles!'. Those words have rung in my ears ever since.....

Thanks guys.

ROACHMAN 10-Oct-2005 21:12

My 999r has done 4500 miles on the original clutch with no signs of wear to date (touch wood)

Roachman

HW 10-Oct-2005 21:48

My 749S feels fantastic on the gearshift. Very light and positive, and goes into neutral very easily. Maybe I am just lucky, but it's always been like that from new and now done over 8k miles. Clutch just changed to a 1500 mile 2nd hand STM slipper and it is still just as good.

I think that water (condensation?) in the hydraulic fluid would cause problems and would become gas when it gets hot. It is recommended to replace the fluid each year, and best time is after winter. So I beleive.

KeefyB 10-Oct-2005 23:15

Hmm,its a pretty common fault on the 749/999's to have regular clutch bleeding sessions.Take a look at the fluid levels in the master cylinder while the bike is on the sidestand,...not much in there,...is there??Dunno if air gets in here,just that some need a bleed now and again,some dont.
Dead easy to do on these bikes,just remove the master cylinder cap.Have a look inside,...see that little bolt head?He's your boy,(cant remember the exact size,4mm?)undo the bolt a little and gently squeeze/pump the clutch lever.See those bubbles coming out,....continue squeezing untill they disapear.Tighten the bolt,replace the cap,...hey,you have just bled your clutch.Sit back in the warm glow of a job well done.
NB,its good to have plenty of rags lying around to catch any fluid that might want to spoil your paintwork.Its also best if the bike is upright,like on a paddock stand or summat.

Twinfan 11-Oct-2005 00:05

Quote:

Originally posted by Shazaam!
Your 4-position clutch lever adjuster

Whoa - is that the might Shazaam getting something wrong? The 999 and 749 bikes have a screw adjuster lever, not a four position Brembo. Unless the 'R's are different?