Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle (/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Can anyone do a product review ? (/showthread.php?t=35122)

Admin 27-Apr-2004 08:10

Can anyone do a product review ?

Theoriginal post is here : http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=7003

jeff st4s 20-Aug-2006 11:03

Second try to post this. :devil:

I think it is great there s a product review section here.
Can you clarify the following;
Did you pay for the item?
Do you still "own" it, whether that is long a term loan or donated to you?
If it is free or on loan and is this available to all DSC members?

Where I have an issue is product placement, any size of business using a site by giving out products to maybe a select few (could be anyone), then using the site for free advertising with no benefit to the fellow DSC members.
I checked out their site, no reference to fellow DSC members getting any additional benefit.

I think it is the way of the world today, it is great if someone is lucky and gets something for possibly nowt.
Is it "fair" the site could be used for the benefit of only a few, rather than using the size and number of members to gain benfits for all?

I have based my sunday morning rant on what facts I have been given.
Sadly I've been in bed with food poisoning for the last 4 days and I'm well fed up, so which post is next!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eamonn 20-Aug-2006 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admin
The simple answer is you [the supplier] just need to provide a sample of your product (which should of course be Ducati orientated) to one of us to try out and report on. It really is that easy, any Ducati Sporting Club member can submit a product review for inclusion.

In this case I believe the product was purchased by the member in order to do the review - there may have been a discounted price negotiated, but that is up to the individual person doing the review.

In my experience getting someone to give you a product free of charge for a review is becoming very rare.

jeff st4s 20-Aug-2006 18:17

Eamonn I had no problem with the informative and useful post. :)
I just felt the post left me unaware of who paid for the item, It felt more like a product placement scene with direct link to a retailer at the end of it.
With words like, a company looking to have stuff reviewed and a sample arrived in the post, this did not look like a DSC member went and bought a seat found it out to be really good and told his fellow DSC'ers they should get one too.
I hope no offence was taken. :(

After having looked at it again, it still looks like free adverstising via product placement, when I believe advertisers pay to be on the site and offer members discounts, this retailer did not.

Paul James 21-Aug-2006 16:11

Jeff, I did the original review on the seat and Calamander offered us (the club members) a discount, I've forwarded the contact details to our commercial manager so that he can confirm the current discount offered by this supplier when the discount list is updated shortly. I also have one for the ST2/3 which I again bought at the discounted price.

I also did the "Ventura" luggage review, as a result of which you can now get a 15% discount on the system and other products from Motohaus Marketing.

I did a review on a Ducati teapot believe it or not, that resulted in the manufacturer offering a member discount and supplying us with a one off model which the club presented to Mr. Minoli when the members visited the factory last year.

Any member can submit a product review for a Ducati related item or service, I don't think it is necessarily perceived as free advertising if it brings a discount value to the members ?

Sorry to hear of your food poisoning, had a similar experience recently and it ain't much fun. Maybe if you are still looking for the next post to have a go at on a similar topic you could question the Cargo Bag mention in the "Product Review" forum ? Not sure if we get a discount from them, maybe the person who posted it can confirm if they looked into it, if not and it's a great bit of kit why not send the info along to our commercial manager and I'm sure he'll get us a good deal !! Email: commercial@ducatisportingclub.com

jeff st4s 21-Aug-2006 16:29

Paul, sorry for the grumpy old far* routine.

As I originally stated good review, but with finding no info from you or their site saying fellow members were welcome for a discount it just seemed more like product placement.

I don't have a problem with giving free advertising via product reviews to good companies and good products, as long as everyone can get a similar good deal then it seems a fair win win stuation for all.

Paul James 21-Aug-2006 16:38

No problem, if you felt like I did when I had food poisoning you'd be pretty scared of far*ing :o :eek: We don't normally get the discount details mentioned on the product host site, we did have a good list on this site and also in Pronto which covered it off at the time the reviews were done but these still need sorting.

I've been assured that these will be returning soon, the commercial manager has been sorting them out throughout the year and publication is imminent.

If you would like to try the Sargent ST seat on your bike drop me a note and we can arrange for you to borrow it.

jeff st4s 21-Aug-2006 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul James
No problem, if you felt like I did when I had food poisoning you'd be pretty scared of far*ing :o :eek:

I was scared and then I far*ed as I walked out the door! :eek: only to walk back in again. :mad:

Paul James 21-Aug-2006 17:39

That's nothing to what its done to your face by the look of it :lol: :frog:

Eamonn 21-Aug-2006 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul James
I've been assured that these will be returning soon, the commercial manager has been sorting them out throughout the year and publication is imminent.

The latest discounts are already on the website at
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/in...page=discounts
accessible from the 'Membership' page on the top menu.
:)