Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Mounting C/F Airtubes (/showthread.php?t=716)

Bob Johnson 09-Jun-2003 19:24

Mounting C/F Airtubes

Hi guys....

My first post, I've just bought some C/F airtubes, but I've come to mount them to the airbox, but they don't have the lip inside for the clip on the airbox to attach to, if you can follow that.

They do have a drilled hole on the top and bottom of each tube, roughly where they would mount, I am assuming I need to created a bracket or such like to either aid the clip to clamp the tube to the airbox, or somehow screw the tube direct to the airbox...

Anyone else done the same ?

Jon 09-Jun-2003 20:11

No need to clip them onto the air box.
They will just push inside a little,you can fix them to the front through the nose cone fitting. You should be using a itg or similar air filter, so need for sealing against airbox. If you hav'nt got that type of filter, go out and get one before you fire up.
The holes you mention are most likely for the indicator mounting and the hole in which the indie cable passes through to the nose cone.
Jon

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by Jon]

Redsps 09-Jun-2003 20:24

I have noticed some C/F tubes have a small protuting lip on the front edge, so when you put the c/f tubes into airfilter box, the lip holds the c/f tube to filterbox.
when you refit nose cone, the screw from underneath holds the tube in place aswell as the nose cone.
can be a bit fiddly though.
cheers
robin

Bob Johnson 09-Jun-2003 20:31

They're the race type, no mounts for indicators, the holes are where the seal goes between the airtube and the airbox

Dazza 09-Jun-2003 21:37

drill the rivets out of the clips on the stock tubes and use a pop-rivet gun to mount them on the cf ones.....

Bob Johnson 09-Jun-2003 22:02

The clips are rivetted onto the airbox, not the tubes...

The standard tubes have an angular lip which the clips clip onto from the airbox...

It's all a bit hard to explain

yeti 09-Jun-2003 22:13

Bob, probably the easiest method, and the one that has served me for 5k plus miles is to drill a couple of holes roughly where the lip would be in the original plastic tubes. You then slip a tie wrap through holes and keep it loose. From inside the airbox you will be able to slip the clip over the tie wrap and pull tight. that gets the position. after this undo clips, pull tie wrap a couple of clicks tighter and next time you put clip on it should pull up snug as a bug. Good thing about this is that tie wraps are dead cheap so you don't have to get tension right first time. get it too tight and you try again.

Take care drilling holes though. what I did was flip clip over so that it lay inside air tube in the right place then drew round the end with a felt tip. i then drilled holes about 25mm further apart and about 10 - 15 mm deeper into the air tube.

Take your time and look at the job before getting stuck in with the drill. If needs be, drill the underside ones first, then if you get it wrong you can always re-drill them.

Hope this helps.....:sing:

rcgbob44 10-Jun-2003 10:49

Air Tubes

Bob.
I have just fitted ducati C/f tubes to my 998s and they fitted exaxctly as per the originals!
Are your tubes Ducati ones or patern?

I fitted a JHP filter at the same time which involved a mod to the inside of the air box, well worth it!

yeti 12-Jun-2003 07:47

Did you manage to get them fitted BOb? :frog: