Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Tyres (/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   "Another" Which tyre thread... (/showthread.php?t=608)

RiggsyB 04-Jun-2003 02:43

\"Another\" Which tyre thread...

Yup, I need to replace the tyres on my 748 pronto... Currently I have a pair of Pirelli Dragon Evo's fitted, and they have served me fairly well... Grippy enough, predictable etc...

Anyway, I'm after a new pair of tyres (preferably as cheap as possible), and I'm not afraid of mail order as I can fit them myself...

I had a pair of Dunlops on my 400 before I moved to the Ducati fold, and was also intensely impressed with them... Hence I was considering going back to Dunlop...

So what tyres do I get? (I ain't going down the Race rep route as I need the tyres to last more than 1500 miles, and I ain;t that good a rider yet anyhow)

Choices are...

Dunlop 208's
Dunlop 207RR's (very cheap so wouldn;t be too bothered about wear on these)
Pirelli Diablo's
More Pirelli Dragon Evo's (some places have em going fairly cheaply)
Metzeler M1 SPortec's
Bridgestone 010's
any other tyre you'd care to reccomend...

My leaning at the moment seems to be towards the Dunlop 208's, as I've heard nothing but praise for them, and all the World Supersport riders seem to be using them... But let me know if you know different...

HELP PLEASE! I need tyres urgently...

Eamonn 04-Jun-2003 11:39

I just bought a pair of 208's from M and P for £149 - they have a special offer on Dunlops !

Don't know what they're like yet as I'm getting them put on today.

flyingbanana 04-Jun-2003 12:56

No idea of current prices.

but tyres cost bucks anyhow. I went from pirelli dragons to Michellen pilot sports. The difference is all round stabilty and turn in. The dragons as you know are rock solid but a bit slow. The pilots are really quite awesome the profile is alot sharper it drops the bike into turns rather than rolling in, the bike feels 40% more agile. Running them in is a bit scary though if your not used to quick steering tyres. Done over 1000 miles on the rear with my 748sps no probs plenty left. With all the fancy track day wam bar tyres around you should find some cheap pilots.

FB:)

psychlist 04-Jun-2003 12:59

Michelin Pilot Sports?

Ok if you avoid riding in the wet :frog:

BT010's if you dont mind getting damp.
Eeeeeeeexcellent!

:ninja:

Old Yella 04-Jun-2003 13:34

Bridgestone

Best I have tried but as mentioned in previous threads on tyres, it is a personal thing.

My preference is Bridgestone BT56SS but have got a couple of pairs of BT012SS to try when they are done.

Good in wet but excellent in the dry.

You takes your choice an all that!

flyingbanana 04-Jun-2003 15:49

Pilots, all weathers.

Bit mad me:P:sing::P

What's this mean :rodent: ?

scoot 04-Jun-2003 15:55

used to run pilot sports untill i lost the front at pembrey up untill then never had a problem.
now running super corsas top tyre feels so much more stable

RiggsyB 04-Jun-2003 16:04

Right... After seeing Eammon's reply, I got on to M&P, and sure enough, they're selling pairs of D208's for £149 at the moment!!!

So I've ordered myself a pair... And hopefully they'll be as good as all the hype I've heard about them...

Harv748 04-Jun-2003 16:53

so what is the difference between 207(rr)'s and the 208's?

yorkie 04-Jun-2003 23:01

Michelin Pilot Race have just been fitted to my Monster for £120, quite sticky with not a lot of tread, just right for the Northern weather of snow and ice ..... if theres no ice then gun it!!!! ...... Yorkie.