Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers! (/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Fire & theft for track bikes (/showthread.php?t=2888)

Felix 31-Aug-2003 12:05

Fire & theft for track bikes

Does anyone have any experience with getting cover for a track/race bike? I am looking to get mine insured for fire and theft only while garaged at home and maybe while being transported to and from track. Haven't had any luck with standard insurers since mine is not on their list of bikes, which is only bikes built for the road.

If anyone knows someone that's gone down this road, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers.

Cheers,
Felix

ducatimad 31-Aug-2003 14:39

Try these guys, I believe they do write off and full cover for trackdays

simon.hickman@insuremyducati.co.uk
08702 412214

Queen_gravelpants 31-Aug-2003 16:17

Felix

Try these people

competition car insurance

Alot of the racers with Bemsee use them. I got £16000 cover for 2 race bikes, wheels, spares, £2k worth of tools and it was about £368 for the year.

You're bike is covered for fire, theft and accidental damage whilst in storage i.e. your garage, during transportation to and from circuit and at the circuit...but not when the engine is running and on the track.

Felix 31-Aug-2003 19:21

Thanks, Celeste, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I'll give them a ring.

Rattler 31-Aug-2003 20:32

I\'m interested too....

....Felix, let us know how you get on.

Tim

Felix 01-Sep-2003 10:07

Quick update:

Rang the company suggested by Celeste and they do this sort of thing. Got quoted 436 per year for 18k for the bike and 2k for spares. It covers fire, theft, and accidental damage during storage, transport and in the pits. Essentially everything while the engine is not running. The accidental damage covers things like if you drop it while taking it out of the van (not that I've ever done that, mind), someone runs into you while it's in the back of the van, etc. Seems like the thing to do, except if I insure it for its true replacement value, the quote goes to 774 per year. Ouch!

Also rang the other company suggested above, who referred me to everittboles.co.uk, who is Pit&Paddock, who referred me to Alexander Forbes, who quoted me 10% of the insured value. Needless to say, that was a fairly short conversation.

I'll make a few more calls and inquiries, but Competition Car Insurance is the front runner at the moment.

Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Tim: your R6 will probably cost you 100 quid to insure!! :P

Rattler 01-Sep-2003 11:13

Nah....

...it won't cost that much for the R6!!

Its just if I've got a garage full of bikes (I wish), I'd want cover for them all.

Please let me know if you find any other stuff, I'm making a few calls too, but coming up blank so far.

Tim

David Cook 25-May-2004 22:41

Felix,

Did you go ahead??

David

David Cook 28-May-2004 12:35

Felix, are you out there?

Felix 28-May-2004 15:33

Sorry, waaaaayyyyy out there! Christ this is an old thread?! Yes, I did. No claims so far.